    I have a new site I'm devleoping and woud like peopl to use and
    bookmardk that URL for furture acdcess. However, the new sit eis not
    yet avaialbe - I am pointing all visitors to an old site
    JohnW-Mpls, Dec 20, 2007

  2. ..oO(JohnW-Mpls)

    >I'm lookin iofr the code or sme way to force my URL to be saved as a
    >bookmark rather than the URL for the current site.

    Impossible. Would be quite rude, wouldn't it?

    >I have a new site I'm devleoping and woud like peopl to use and
    >bookmardk that URL for furture acdcess. However, the new sit eis not
    >yet avaialbe - I am pointing all visitors to an old site

    You want people to bookmark a site that doesn't exist yet?

    The correct way: Let the users bookmark whatever they want. If the old
    site goes down, keep the old URLs working and redirect them to the new
    site with an appropriate HTTP header and status code (301).

    Micha
    Michael Fesser, Dec 20, 2007

  3. JohnW-Mpls wrote:
    > I'm lookin iofr the code or sme way to force my URL to be saved as a
    > bookmark rather than the URL for the current site.

    You can't.

    > I have a new site I'm devleoping and woud like peopl to use and
    > bookmardk that URL for furture acdcess.

    Assuming what you're asking was possible, what then would you expect the
    users' reaction to be if they were to use this bookmark, say, five
    minutes later instead of waiting until the new site is ready?

    > However, the new sit eis not
    > yet avaialbe - I am pointing all visitors to an old site

    What you'll need to do when the time comes is to have the old site send
    a *permanent redirection* response, identifying the new location, when
    it receives requests for the old pages.
    Harlan Messinger, Dec 20, 2007
  4. JohnW-Mpls

    Bone Ur Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Thu, 20 Dec 2007 18:10:06 GMT
    JohnW-Mpls scribed:

    > I'm lookin iofr the code or sme way to force my URL to be saved as a
    > bookmark rather than the URL for the current site.
    >
    > I have a new site I'm devleoping and woud like peopl to use and
    > bookmardk that URL for furture acdcess. However, the new sit eis not
    > yet avaialbe - I am pointing all visitors to an old site

    Put a text message at the top of the old site explaining the situation, the
    new url, and it's predicted activation date.

    --
    Bone Ur
    Cavemen have formidable pheromones.
    Bone Ur, Dec 20, 2007