Spreadsheet module tests fail

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by El Gato, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. El Gato

    El Gato Guest

    I'm trying to use the spreadsheet/excel module by Daniel Berger, but
    it's failing its tests on the olewriter. Any thoughts?

    # ruby test/ts_all.rb
    Loaded suite test/ts_all
    Started
    ...................E/tmp/spreadsheet-0.3.4/lib/spreadsheet/olewriter.rb:22:
    [BUG] rb_sys_fail() - errno == 0
    ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [sparc-solaris2.8]

    Here's the code around line 22 of olewriter.rb

    8 class OLEWriter < IO
    9
    10 # Not meant for public consumption
    11 MaxSize = 7087104
    12 BlockSize = 4096
    13 BlockDiv = 512
    14 ListBlocks = 127
    15
    16 attr_reader :biff_size, :book_size, :big_blocks, :list_blocks
    17 attr_reader :root_start, :size_allowed
    18
    19 # Accept an IO object, a fileno, or a String
    20 def initialize(arg, &block)
    21 if arg.kind_of?(String)
    22 super(File.open(arg, "w+").fileno, "w+", &block)
    23 elsif arg.respond_to?:)fileno)
    24 super(arg.fileno, "w+", &block)
    25 else
    26 super(arg, "w+", &block)
    27 end
    28 binmode

    El Gato, Nov 20, 2006

  2. El Gato wrote:
    > I'm trying to use the spreadsheet/excel module by Daniel Berger, but
    > it's failing its tests on the olewriter. Any thoughts?
    >
    > # ruby test/ts_all.rb
    > Loaded suite test/ts_all
    > Started
    > ..................E/tmp/spreadsheet-0.3.4/lib/spreadsheet/olewriter.rb:22:
    > [BUG] rb_sys_fail() - errno == 0
    > ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [sparc-solaris2.8]

    <snip>

    First, I no longer maintain this package. It's now maintained by
    Hannes Wyss.

    Second, you've got an old version of spreadsheet. Use 0.3.5, available
    at http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=678&release_id=6674

    Third, you've got an old version of Ruby. Even blastwave has a 1.8.4
    package if you want a more recent version. Or, you could build 1.8.5
    by hand.

    Regards,

    Dan

    Daniel Berger, Nov 20, 2006

  3. El Gato

    El Gato Guest

    Daniel Berger wrote:

    > First, I no longer maintain this package. It's now maintained by
    > Hannes Wyss.
    >
    > Second, you've got an old version of spreadsheet. Use 0.3.5, available
    > at http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=678&release_id=6674
    >
    > Third, you've got an old version of Ruby. Even blastwave has a 1.8.4
    > package if you want a more recent version. Or, you could build 1.8.5
    > by hand.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Dan

    Well, I realized that 0.3.5 was out, however, I could not find a way to
    download it. As it turns out, I was just not noticing that the
    rubyforge spreadsheet entry had the code. When I look at the main
    spreadsheet page the download link says:

    spreadsheet parseexcel-0.5.1.1 August 29, 2006 Release Notes -
    Monitor this package Download

    I was under the impression that parseexcel was a different module and
    didn't realize that once I clicked the link to download that I would be
    presented with the latest version of the spreadsheet module.

    As to my version of Ruby... well, that won't change anytime soon.

    Thanks, the new version seems to pass the tests.

    El Gato, Nov 20, 2006