Spreadsheet module tests fail

El Gato

I'm trying to use the spreadsheet/excel module by Daniel Berger, but
it's failing its tests on the olewriter. Any thoughts?

# ruby test/ts_all.rb
Loaded suite test/ts_all
Started
...................E/tmp/spreadsheet-0.3.4/lib/spreadsheet/olewriter.rb:22:
[BUG] rb_sys_fail() - errno == 0
ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [sparc-solaris2.8]

Here's the code around line 22 of olewriter.rb

8 class OLEWriter < IO
9
10 # Not meant for public consumption
11 MaxSize = 7087104
12 BlockSize = 4096
13 BlockDiv = 512
14 ListBlocks = 127
15
16 attr_reader :biff_size, :book_size, :big_blocks, :list_blocks
17 attr_reader :root_start, :size_allowed
18
19 # Accept an IO object, a fileno, or a String
20 def initialize(arg, &block)
21 if arg.kind_of?(String)
22 super(File.open(arg, "w+").fileno, "w+", &block)
23 elsif arg.respond_to?:)fileno)
24 super(arg.fileno, "w+", &block)
25 else
26 super(arg, "w+", &block)
27 end
28 binmode

Daniel Berger

El said:
I'm trying to use the spreadsheet/excel module by Daniel Berger, but
it's failing its tests on the olewriter. Any thoughts?

# ruby test/ts_all.rb
Loaded suite test/ts_all
Started
..................E/tmp/spreadsheet-0.3.4/lib/spreadsheet/olewriter.rb:22:
[BUG] rb_sys_fail() - errno == 0
ruby 1.8.1 (2003-12-25) [sparc-solaris2.8]

<snip>

First, I no longer maintain this package. It's now maintained by
Hannes Wyss.

Second, you've got an old version of spreadsheet. Use 0.3.5, available
at http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=678&release_id=6674

Third, you've got an old version of Ruby. Even blastwave has a 1.8.4
package if you want a more recent version. Or, you could build 1.8.5
by hand.

Regards,

Dan

El Gato

Daniel said:
First, I no longer maintain this package. It's now maintained by
Hannes Wyss.

Second, you've got an old version of spreadsheet. Use 0.3.5, available
at http://rubyforge.org/frs/?group_id=678&release_id=6674

Third, you've got an old version of Ruby. Even blastwave has a 1.8.4
package if you want a more recent version. Or, you could build 1.8.5
by hand.

Regards,

Dan

Well, I realized that 0.3.5 was out, however, I could not find a way to
download it. As it turns out, I was just not noticing that the
rubyforge spreadsheet entry had the code. When I look at the main
spreadsheet page the download link says:

spreadsheet parseexcel-0.5.1.1 August 29, 2006 Release Notes -
Monitor this package Download

I was under the impression that parseexcel was a different module and
didn't realize that once I clicked the link to download that I would be
presented with the latest version of the spreadsheet module.

As to my version of Ruby... well, that won't change anytime soon.

Thanks, the new version seems to pass the tests.