Spreadsheet with Python scripting and database interface?

Discussion in 'Python' started by Wolfgang Keller, Jul 29, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I'm looking for a spreadsheet application (MacOS X prefered, but
    Windows, Linux ar available as well) with support for Python scripting
    (third-party "plug-ins" are ok) and a database interface.

    Applications that I know of (that they exist) are:

    MS Excel
    Quattro
    Lotus
    OO Calc
    Gnumeric
    Kspread

    Which ones have I forgotten?

    Which ones have support for Python scripting?

    Excel: I know of a module that allows to script Excel in Python from
    outside (COM scripting on Windows and Applescript on MacOS are know as
    well), but I don't know of any possibility to do Python scripting with
    Excel itself?

    OO Calc: I know that PyUNO exists, but I know nothing about what it can
    actually do?

    Kspread: Koffice seems to have Python scripting support, but I have no
    clue what you can actually do with it?

    The database interface should ideally allow to:

    - map database tables, views, query results to tables/lists (with as
    little programming as possible)
    - allow editing of records within those tables/lists (and write back
    the results)
    - supply possibilities to handle relationships (via foreign keys)
    between records in different tables in a user-friendly way (I have
    something like hyperlinks in mind)

    The database software to interface with is Postgres.

    The application "should" also provide good support for naming of
    cells/columns/rows/regions (including namespaces for files, sheets) and
    user-defined formats.

    TIA,

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang Keller

    Wolfgang Keller, Jul 29, 2005

  2. Wolfgang Keller

    has Guest

    Wolfgang Keller wrote:

    > Excel: I know of a module that allows to script Excel in Python from
    > outside (COM scripting on Windows and Applescript on MacOS are know as
    > well), but I don't know of any possibility to do Python scripting with
    > Excel itself?

    For scripting Mac applications with Python instead of AppleScript, see:

    http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/appscript.html

    HTH

    has, Jul 29, 2005

  3. You might want to look at kexi. It is KOffice's answer to MS Access,
    and long a awaited contender it is. It has python scripting support
    and works with databases natively.

    Calvin Spealman, Jul 30, 2005
  4. Wolfgang Keller <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for a spreadsheet application (MacOS X prefered, but
    > Windows, Linux ar available as well) with support for Python scripting
    > (third-party "plug-ins" are ok) and a database interface.
    >
    > Applications that I know of (that they exist) are:
    >
    > MS Excel
    > Quattro
    > Lotus
    > OO Calc
    > Gnumeric
    > Kspread
    >
    > Which ones have I forgotten?
    >
    > Which ones have support for Python scripting?

    Package: gnumeric-plugins-extra
    Gnumeric ships with a number of plugins; this package contains those
    plugins that require additional packages above what the 'gnumeric' package
    needs.
    .
    This includes
    o The Perl plugin
    o The Python plugin
    o The Python plugin loader
    o Additional Python functions
    o The Gnome glossary
    o The gda (Gnome Database Access) plugin
    o The GNOME-DB plugin

    Florian
    --
    begin signature_virus
    Hi! I'm a signature virus. Please copy me to your signature to help me spread.

    Florian Diesch, Aug 11, 2005
  5. On Fri, 2005-07-29 at 04:21, Wolfgang Keller wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm looking for a spreadsheet application (MacOS X prefered, but
    > Windows, Linux ar available as well) with support for Python scripting
    > (third-party "plug-ins" are ok) and a database interface.
    >
    > Applications that I know of (that they exist) are:
    >
    > MS Excel
    > Quattro
    > Lotus
    > OO Calc
    > Gnumeric
    > Kspread
    >
    > Which ones have I forgotten?
    >
    > Which ones have support for Python scripting?
    > [snip]
    > OO Calc: I know that PyUNO exists, but I know nothing about what it can
    > actually do?
    > [snip]

    See http://udk.openoffice.org/python/python-bridge.html for more than
    you'll ever want to know about this. In a nutshell, you can do pretty
    much anything.

    One thing that's not clear from your question is whether you want to
    script the office from within using a macro or from the outside via
    "remote control". PyUNO allows both, but Python macros are only possible
    with the OpenOffice 2 scripting framework.

    Hope this helps,

    Carsten Haese.

    Carsten Haese, Aug 11, 2005
  6. Hello,

    and thanks for your reply.

    > One thing that's not clear from your question is whether you want to
    > script the office from within using a macro or from the outside via
    > "remote control".

    What I basically dream of is using Python as THE embedded macro
    language of the spreadsheet.

    Because Postgres already supports Python as a trigger/procedure
    language, so I can stick with one single tool (to learn and use).

    Wolfgang Keller, Aug 12, 2005
  7. > o The Python plugin
    > o The Python plugin loader
    > o Additional Python functions

    Do these provide the possibility to use Python as macro/scripting
    language from within Gnumeric?

    TIA,

    Sincerely,

    Wolfgang Keller