    the whole thing for me.

    Any advice would be much appreciated.

    John

    John, Apr 13, 2004

  2. John

    Sudsy Guest

    John wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just started working with EE and am trying to decide whether to use
    > stored procedures and BMP (to give me more control) or whether to just
    > rely on CMP.
    >
    > It seems to me (basically on instinct) that going for BMP will allow me
    > to deal with any little problems and incompatabilities rather than just
    > putting my head in the sand and trusting/hoping that CMP takes care of
    > the whole thing for me.
    >
    > Any advice would be much appreciated.

    To me, the biggest advantage of the J2EE architecture is that you can
    plug-and-play if you design your applications properly.
    That's why I don't want to depend on stored procedure or triggers in a
    database. All of the business logic should be implemented in the J2EE
    server. That way I can pull out Sybase or Oracle and install DB/2 or
    Informix. No changes to the application should be required.
    And that's why I would go with CMP. I want to stay as far away from
    JDBC and the database as possible. You don't want to get too close and
    introduce dependencies; that limits portability.

    Sudsy, Apr 13, 2004

  3. John

    Chris Smith Guest

    John wrote:
    > I've just started working with EE and am trying to decide whether to use
    > stored procedures and BMP (to give me more control) or whether to just
    > rely on CMP.
    >
    > It seems to me (basically on instinct) that going for BMP will allow me
    > to deal with any little problems and incompatabilities rather than just
    > putting my head in the sand and trusting/hoping that CMP takes care of
    > the whole thing for me.

    Depends on the complexity of your data access needs. What kinds of data
    access challenges do you expect to face?

    --
    www.designacourse.com

    MindIQ Corporation

    Chris Smith, Apr 13, 2004
  4. John

    John Guest

    Chris Smith wrote:

    > John wrote:
    >
    >>I've just started working with EE and am trying to decide whether to use
    >>stored procedures and BMP (to give me more control) or whether to just
    >>rely on CMP.
    >>
    >>It seems to me (basically on instinct) that going for BMP will allow me
    >>to deal with any little problems and incompatabilities rather than just
    >>putting my head in the sand and trusting/hoping that CMP takes care of
    >>the whole thing for me.

    > Depends on the complexity of your data access needs. What kinds of data
    > access challenges do you expect to face?

    Its fairly straightforward Relational DB stuff, but i previously used
    some quite complex transactions across multiple tables. At the moment
    I'm trying to work out how well CMP deals with transactions of this sort.

    John, Apr 13, 2004