SQL DBA

Discussion in 'Java' started by mathew, May 4, 2012.

  1. mathew

    mathew Guest

    In today’s IT – services marketplace, IT departments face a daunting
    challenge: they must somehow deliver the highest quality at the lowest
    cost, while navigating in a highly inefficient marketplace. Net Matrix
    Solutions, Inc is the leading IT professional services provider
    helping clients achieve their IT services goals with the quality they
    deserve. We have delivered over 1000 project resources to various
    clients across American continent. Our clients are typically Fortune 1
    to Fortune 3000 companies.

    We are looking "SQL DBA" for fulltime with our client in Houston,
    TX.

    Job Summary
    Responsible for the overall design, maintenance, troubleshooting and
    management of the enterprise databases and database environments.
    Client support, business operations, software development, and new
    product development
    Provide database architecture and design support
    tuning and performance, Database Security
    Provide database development and support to all areas of the business
    Product Development, Software Development, Database technology
    consultation
    Includes both internal and client facing deployments.

    Required Experience:
    • Minimum 5 years of hands on experience implementing and maintaining
    relational database systems
    • Minimum 2-3 years of taking lead responsibility in IT system
    administration/relational database administration arena
    • Possess good project management skills with attention to
    prioritization, a high degree of accuracy, and attention to detail
    • Must possess excellent verbal and written communication skills.
    Requires demonstrated experience in one or more of the following area;
    ability to define requirements, develop proposals, assess business
    value, and interface effectively with potential clients and customers
    • Must be a team player willing to contribute in a fast paced
    environment
    • Ability to independently research database problems by utilizing
    good problem isolation techniques, interfacing with vendor support
    organizations, testing proposed solutions, verifying successful
    results, documenting solutions and disseminating information to
    affected personnel.
    • Possesses strong analytical abilities, proven technical skills,
    project leadership and the ability to resolve problems in a timely
    manner
    • Exposure to any decision support tools, data marts and the latest
    data warehouse features with Microsoft

    This is a Fulltime in Houston, TX.

    You can reach me at /
    713-401-9568
    Mathew
    Net Matrix Solutions, Inc
    Web: www.netmatrixsolutions.com
    Inc. 500/5000 Company - twice in a row | FastTech 50 award winner
    three times in last four years

    mathew, May 4, 2012

  2. mathew

    Lew Guest

    mathew wrote:
    > We are looking "SQL DBA" for fulltime with our client in Houston,
    > TX.

    You spammed this to a Java newsgroup, not a DBA forum.

    --
    Lew

    Lew, May 5, 2012

  3. mathew

    Lew Guest

    Leif Roar Moldskred wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    > > mathew wrote:
    > >> We are looking "SQL DBA" for fulltime with our client in Houston,
    > >> TX.

    > > You spammed this to a Java newsgroup, not a DBA forum.

    > I like how they specified that it has to be an _SQL_ DBA, and not some
    > other kind of DBA (or rather, "DBA".)

    Most often I find that by "SQL", recruiters mean "Microsoft SQL Server", an
    interesting and perhaps offensive error.

    I note that you pronounce "SQL" "ess queue ell". I usually pronounce it "sequel".

    I also place opening braces differently depending on who's receiving my source.

    --
    Lew

    --
    Lew

    Lew, May 5, 2012
  4. On Fri, 04 May 2012 17:32:17 -0700, Lew wrote:

    > I note that you pronounce "SQL" "ess queue ell". I usually pronounce it
    > "sequel".

    Pronouncing it as 'sequel' is, IME, largely an Americanism. I almost
    never hear it used on this side of the pond.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, May 5, 2012
  5. mathew

    markspace Guest

    On 5/5/2012 8:07 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > On Fri, 04 May 2012 17:32:17 -0700, Lew wrote:
    >
    >> I note that you pronounce "SQL" "ess queue ell". I usually pronounce it
    >> "sequel".
    >>

    > Pronouncing it as 'sequel' is, IME, largely an Americanism. I almost
    > never hear it used on this side of the pond.

    My understanding is that "Sequel" is actually its proper name and
    calling it ess-queue-ell is a bit of a rubism. Since it was developed
    on this side of the pond, we ought to know.

    "SQL was initially developed at IBM by Donald D. Chamberlin and Raymond
    F. Boyce in the early 1970s. This version, initially called SEQUEL
    (Structured English Query Language)..."

    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL>

    markspace, May 5, 2012
  6. On 5/5/2012 11:17 AM, markspace wrote:
    > On 5/5/2012 8:07 AM, Martin Gregorie wrote:
    >> On Fri, 04 May 2012 17:32:17 -0700, Lew wrote:
    >>
    >>> I note that you pronounce "SQL" "ess queue ell". I usually pronounce it
    >>> "sequel".
    >>>

    >> Pronouncing it as 'sequel' is, IME, largely an Americanism. I almost
    >> never hear it used on this side of the pond.

    > My understanding is that "Sequel" is actually its proper name and
    > calling it ess-queue-ell is a bit of a rubism. Since it was developed on
    > this side of the pond, we ought to know.
    >
    > "SQL was initially developed at IBM by Donald D. Chamberlin and Raymond
    > F. Boyce in the early 1970s. This version, initially called SEQUEL
    > (Structured English Query Language)..."
    >
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL>

    Did you read the pronunciation section of that link?

    :)

    Arne

    Arne Vajhøj, May 5, 2012
  7. mathew

    markspace Guest

    On 5/5/2012 8:43 AM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:

    > Did you read the pronunciation section of that link?

    All the business meetings and vendor presentations I've been too all
    said "Sequel." Admittedly this was a few years (decades?) ago.

    markspace, May 5, 2012
  8. mathew

    markspace Guest

    On 5/5/2012 8:43 AM, Leif Roar Moldskred wrote:
    > markspace<-@.> wrote:
    >>
    >> My understanding is that "Sequel" is actually its proper name and
    >> calling it ess-queue-ell is a bit of a rubism. Since it was developed
    >> on this side of the pond, we ought to know.

    > Yes, but you lot also say "elumenem" when you mean aluminium, so
    > clearly we can not trust Westpondians when it comes to pronounciation.

    I'm pretty sure I pronounce it "aluminum," like a normal person. ;-)

    markspace, May 5, 2012
  9. On Sat, 05 May 2012 20:57:03 -0700, Lew wrote:

    > markspace wrote:

    >>> Yes, but you lot also say "elumenem" when you mean aluminium, so
    >>> clearly we can not trust Westpondians when it comes to pronounciation.

    > I believe both pronunciations are quite common, at least wherever I've
    > worked.
    >
    > I switch between'em myself. Ayep.

    Its the characteristic Westpondian habit of swallowing the
    'i' in the final -ium syllable in Aluminium that I always notice,
    particularly as its such an obvious anomaly: it is the only name of an
    element to be pronounced that way. I've never heard anybody say Uranum,
    Germanum, Plutonum or Helum.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, May 6, 2012
  10. mathew

    Lew Guest

    Martin Gregorie wrote:
    > Lew wrote:
    >> markspace wrote:

    >> I believe both pronunciations are quite common, at least wherever I've
    >> worked.
    >>
    >> I switch between'em myself. Ayep.

    > Its the characteristic Westpondian habit of swallowing the
    > 'i' in the final -ium syllable in Aluminium that I always notice,
    > particularly as its such an obvious anomaly: it is the only name of an
    > element to be pronounced that way. I've never heard anybody say Uranum,
    > Germanum, Plutonum or Helum.

    I'm talking about "sequel" vs. "ess queue ell". Being American, I do not say
    "aluminium", but that has no bearing on Java programming. SQL does.

    That's the one I pronounce both ways. Who cares about non-Java-related words?

    --
    Lew
    Honi soit qui mal y pense.

    Lew, May 7, 2012
  11. On Sun, 6 May 2012 11:56:18 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
    <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 05 May 2012 20:57:03 -0700, Lew wrote:
    >
    >> markspace wrote:

    >> I believe both pronunciations are quite common, at least wherever I've
    >> worked.
    >>
    >> I switch between'em myself. Ayep.

    >Its the characteristic Westpondian habit of swallowing the
    >'i' in the final -ium syllable in Aluminium that I always notice,

    The I does not exist in our spelling of it. We do not swallow
    it; we do not say it at all.

    >particularly as its such an obvious anomaly: it is the only name of an
    >element to be pronounced that way. I've never heard anybody say Uranum,

    OH?

    >Germanum, Plutonum or Helum.

    I have never heard anybody say "Molybdenium", "Platinium", or
    "Lanthanium".

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Gene Wirchenko, May 7, 2012
  12. On Mon, 07 May 2012 10:41:33 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:

    > I have never heard anybody say "Molybdenium", "Platinium", or
    > "Lanthanium".

    Fair cop.

    --
    martin@ | Martin Gregorie
    gregorie. | Essex, UK

    Martin Gregorie, May 7, 2012
  13. On Mon, 7 May 2012 18:17:46 +0000 (UTC), Martin Gregorie
    <> wrote:

    >On Mon, 07 May 2012 10:41:33 -0700, Gene Wirchenko wrote:
    >
    >> I have never heard anybody say "Molybdenium", "Platinium", or
    >> "Lanthanium".
    >>

    >Fair cop.

    Mind you, those are the only three (other than Al on the fence).
    I did go through a Periodic Table to check, and I was expecting more.

    Shall we go after all of metals not named per the "-um" or "-ium"
    endings convention? There are some where such a name would fit the
    abbreviation: Stibium for Antimony (Sb) and Stannum for Tin (Sn) for
    two. Wolfram for Tungsten (W) is such a spoilsport though, and Helium
    should be Helion.

    Sincerely,

    Gene Wirchenko

    Gene Wirchenko, May 7, 2012