SQL (Express) database login fails from web service

Bill Cohagan

I have a WebServices project that access a database (in the App_Data folder).
I'm trying to move the project/solution to a new replacement development
machine and am having problems with the database login failing. I'm using a
workgroup, not AD.

I moved the project (including database) from old to new machine using file
copy. I've reset the database owner to the appropriate new machine user
account corresponding to the one on the old machine. When I run the app
however I get a login failure on the database, but it does appear to be using
the login associated with the dbo.

One other complication is that the old machine was XP Pro while the new
machine is Windows 7 RC1 (build 7100).

Any suggestions/ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Bill Cohagan

Well, it was a connection string problem. The login failure was a red herring
as the login itself was correct; however SQL Server (rightfully) doesn't give
away much when there's any kind of login problem. The log entries weren't
much help either as they just gave a status code 16 with the error.

Bill