SQL (Express) database login fails from web service

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by Bill Cohagan, Jul 22, 2009.

  1. Bill Cohagan

    Bill Cohagan Guest

    I have a WebServices project that access a database (in the App_Data folder).
    I'm trying to move the project/solution to a new replacement development
    machine and am having problems with the database login failing. I'm using a
    workgroup, not AD.

    I moved the project (including database) from old to new machine using file
    copy. I've reset the database owner to the appropriate new machine user
    account corresponding to the one on the old machine. When I run the app
    however I get a login failure on the database, but it does appear to be using
    the login associated with the dbo.

    One other complication is that the old machine was XP Pro while the new
    machine is Windows 7 RC1 (build 7100).

    Any suggestions/ideas?

    Thanks in advance,
    Bill
    Bill Cohagan, Jul 22, 2009

  2. Bill Cohagan

    Bill Cohagan Guest

    Well, it was a connection string problem. The login failure was a red herring
    as the login itself was correct; however SQL Server (rightfully) doesn't give
    away much when there's any kind of login problem. The log entries weren't
    much help either as they just gave a status code 16 with the error.

    Bill

    Bill Cohagan, Jul 22, 2009