SQL express vs SQL developer

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by simonZ, Mar 21, 2006.

  1. simonZ

    simonZ Guest

    I instal visual studio 2005 without express edition of SQL server. I had
    instal developer edition before.

    In the web.config it had this connection string:

    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data
    Source=.\SQLExpress;Integrated Security=True;User
    Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf" />

    Since my SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition instance is named SQL2005 I
    changed this to:

    <add name="LocalSqlServer" connectionString="Data
    Source=.\SQL2005;Integrated Security=True;User
    Instance=True;AttachDBFilename=|DataDirectory|aspnetdb.mdf" />
    When trying to run the ASP.NET application, I got this exception:

    [SqlException (0x80131904): The user instance login flag is not supported on
    this version of SQL Server. The connection will be closed.]

    And there is a lot of other problems because I don't have express edition of
    SQL server.

    What can I do to make things work? Any idea?

    regards,S

    simonZ, Mar 21, 2006

  2. simonZ

    KBuser Guest

    KBuser, Mar 21, 2006

  3. simonZ

    simonZ Guest

    Hi, KBuser,

    thanks for your answer.

    What you mean with: "delete this string" ?

    ASP.NET I belive needs it's own database for web parts, data components,....
    and I should create database mydbfile.mdf.

    You can create this database with aspnet_regsql.exe tool (by default it is
    created if you install sqlexpress together with visual studio).

    In www.connectionstrings.com there is only string for sql express:

    "Server=.\SQLExpress;AttachDbFilename=c:\asd\qwe\mydbfile.mdf;Database=dbname;Database=dbname;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"
    - or -
    "Server=.\SQLExpress;AttachDbFilename=|DataDirectory|mydbfile.mdf;Database=dbname;Trusted_Connection=Yes;"
    (use |DataDirectory| when your database file resides in the data
    directory)

    I can't found it for sql developer edition.

    If I just delete it from ASP.NET configuration file, will everything work?

    Best regards from Slovenia,
    Simon

    simonZ, Mar 21, 2006