sql processes multiplying

microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

I am seeing sql processes (seen under Current Activity->process Info)
exploding into over 100 processes even though hardly anyone is using
it.

It is an ASP.NET application, and I religiously close every sql
connection. after every transaction. Some interesting observations to
note

* This is new ever since we moved over to a new server. All the sql
patches are up to date. It is 2003.

* The list of processes shows that the login time for all 100
connections are within 3-4 minutes of each other.

* Last Batch times are even more interesting. About 30 of those show
1/1/1900. What does that mean. These do not show any Last TSQL batch

* After the explosion, the number of connections go right back to 1 or
2 which is where it should be a few minutes later.

This application has been in production for 4 years and this has never
been an issue.

I suppose I can run SQL Profiler to trace this, but are there any
other suggestions? Could the server be under attack?

Guest

Hi

microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming said:
[...]

Are you using connection pooling and what is the pool size set to?

SQL Profiler will tell you what each connection is doing and will give show
if they are trying to do anything malicious.

John

microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming

Are you using connection pooling and what is the pool size set to?

SQL Profiler will tell you what each connection is doing and will give show
if they are trying to do anything malicious.

John

I am using the ADO.NET Sql Connection. I don't know the mechanics of
how it works, but I think it uses connection pooling.

I have a table that logs some of user activities, and in this case,
the user just logged onto my application, and it spawns over 100
processes with T-SQL commands that the user never called. It does
look very much malicious, but I don't know how to prove it.

Am running sql profiler, so will find that what that uncovers.

Guest

Hi

microsoft.public.sqlserver.programming said:
I am using the ADO.NET Sql Connection. I don't know the mechanics of
how it works, but I think it uses connection pooling.

I have a table that logs some of user activities, and in this case,
the user just logged onto my application, and it spawns over 100
processes with T-SQL commands that the user never called. It does
look very much malicious, but I don't know how to prove it.

Am running sql profiler, so will find that what that uncovers.
For connection pooling check out
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...nectionPoolingForSQLServerNETDataProvider.asp

The default pool size is 100 may be coincidence or not!

John

For connection pooling check outhttp://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/cpgu...

The default pool size is 100 may be coincidence or not!

John

Okay, so it was my code. I opened a connection without closing it.
My bad.