Sql Reporting Serviced - > ASP.NET ACCESS DENIED!

Bruce Barker

if you went to the server and used the browser on the server you would see
it work. if you accessed you dev box from another it would fail. this is the
standard no creditials forwarding issue. set a domain account and password
in the web config.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Fabian von Romberg said:
Hi, I have installed Sql Reporting Services on 2 machines, one is WIN 2000
PRO and the other one is WIN 2000 ADV. SERVER. When I try to access a
report using the webbrowser, I get the following error, this happens only
if
try access the report on the SERVER, it I try on my local machine, it
works
just fine. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Fabian von Romberg

Server Error in '/Reports' Application.
----

Access to the path "C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportManager\bin" is denied.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path
"C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting
Services\ReportManager\bin" is denied.

granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity.
ASP.NET has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5
or
Network Service on IIS 6) that is used if the application is not
impersonating. If the application is impersonating via <identity
impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the anonymous user (typically
IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user.

To grant ASP.NET write access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,
choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the
appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the
boxes for the desired access.

Source Error:

Stack Trace:

[UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Archivos de
programa\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportManager\bin"
is
denied.]
System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String str) +393
System.IO.Directory.InternalGetFileDirectoryNames(String fullPath,
String
userPath, Boolean file) +229
System.IO.Directory.InternalGetDirectories(String path, String userPath,
String searchPattern) +24
System.IO.Directory.GetDirectories(String path, String searchPattern)
+477

Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Localization.GetInstalledCultures()
Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Localization..cctor()

[TypeInitializationException: The type initializer for
"Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Localization" threw an
exception.]

Microsoft.ReportingServices.Diagnostics.Localization.SetCultureFromPriorityL
ist(String[] localeList)
Microsoft.ReportingServices.UI.GlobalApp.Application_BeginRequest(Object
sender, EventArgs e)

System.Web.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication+IExecutionStep.
Execute() +60
completedSynchronously) +87

Fabian von Romberg

[...]

so did not read the error message close. the error message say that asp.net
does not have access to C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportManager\bin" directory.

check that it exists, and access is granted.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Fabian von Romberg said:
Hi Bruce, thanks for your reply. Actually I get the error "access denied"
using the browser on the same machine (server). I have read carefully the
whole error message, but ASP.NET account is not listed as a USER. So I
have
read this article:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/secmod/html
/secmod15.asp to create the account, but still get the error message.

Your help will be appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Fabian

Fabian von Romberg said:
Hi, I have installed Sql Reporting Services on 2 machines, one is WIN 2000
PRO and the other one is WIN 2000 ADV. SERVER. When I try to access a
report using the webbrowser, I get the following error, this happens only
if
try access the report on the SERVER, it I try on my local machine, it
works
just fine. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Fabian von Romberg

Server Error in '/Reports' Application.
----

Access to the path "C:\Archivos de programa\Microsoft SQL
Server\MSSQL\Reporting Services\ReportManager\bin" is denied.
the

Fabian von Romberg said:
[...]

Nick Malik [Microsoft]

Could you have cross-posted on more groups? Zowie!

Anyway, I just saw this error this evening on another app.

If you access your web app from a browser on the server, then the
credentials of the accessing user will be used, even if Impersonate is set
to true. Accessing from the client will respect the impersonation options
for ASP.Net. I'm sure that there is some secret config setting to change
this behavior, and perhaps, someday, I'll stumble on it. Until then...

The account you are logging in to when on the server doesn't have the
appropriate access. When accessing from the client, it is using a different
account, one with the appropriate permissions.

Tell me: do you have anonymous access or Windows Authentication?
In the web.config file, do you have <Impersonate> set to True? Are you
providing an account in the tag?

(I'll guess your answers: Windows auth, Impersonate = True, and you are
providing an account.) If that is the case, then the account you provided
in the impersonate tag has the correct permissions, but your login account
on the server does not.

--
--- Nick Malik [Microsoft]
MCSD, CFPS, Certified Scrummaster

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed in this forum are my own, and not
representative of my employer.
I do not answer questions on behalf of my employer. I'm just a
programmer helping programmers.