SQL Server 2005 - how do i create the ASPNET user?

SpaceMarine

ok im new to SQL Server 2005, from 2000.

my webapps use integrated security, and run under:

\\MYMACHINE\ASPNET

....in 2000 it was a pretty simple thing to create a new db user for
this user. took 10 seconds to click thru and do it.

but in SQL 2005, i just cant seem to figure it out. in the Management
Studio i go to the Security->User folder and try to add a new user..
but when i browse around for \\MYMACHINE\ASPNET, i just cant find it
anywhere.

am i going about this incorrectly?

thanks!
sm

SpaceMarine

btw i should add...

i can create a db user called "ASPNET", but i cant associate it to the
MYMACHINE\ASPNET login.

sm

SpaceMarine

i can create a db user called "ASPNET", but i cant associate it to the
MYMACHINE\ASPNET login.

well, running this sql sorta worked:

CREATE USER [ASPNET] FOR LOGIN [MYMACHINE\ASPNET]

....but my app still returns the beloved "Login failed for user
'MYMACHINE\ASPNET'" error when i run it via IIS. (if i run it via
VS.NET 2005's internal web server, it works).

still trying to figure it out.

sm

SpaceMarine

i can create a db user called "ASPNET", but i cant associate it to the
MYMACHINE\ASPNET login.

well, running this sql sorta worked:

CREATE USER [ASPNET] FOR LOGIN [MYMACHINE\ASPNET]

...but my app still returns the beloved "Login failed for user
'MYMACHINE\ASPNET'" error when i run it via IIS. (if i run it via
VS.NET 2005's internal web server, it works).

still trying to figure it out.

....any clues on this? havent been able to figure it out.

thanks,
sm

SpaceMarine

well, running this sql sorta worked:
CREATE USER [ASPNET] FOR LOGIN [MYMACHINE\ASPNET]
...but my app still returns the beloved "Login failed for user
'MYMACHINE\ASPNET'" error when i run it via IIS. (if i run it via
VS.NET 2005's internal web server, it works).
still trying to figure it out.

got it -- i had to create the *login* in the database's Security
section, and then i could create a *user* based on that login.

no mo' error.

sm

Lars

Hi

You do it from the Visual Studio environment.

For Visual Studio 2008/2005
Simply you open a page on the site you are creating and from that page you
can add, manage and delete users and roles. I don't know how you reach this
site from outside the IDE. But I think you have to edit the database
ASPNETDB.MDF to add users and roles (I guess).

Check out the free instruction video from www.LearnVisualStudio.net . It's
awesome.

http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/content/Samples/vwd_09cs.htm

Lars

SpaceMarine said:
[...]

i believe you are referring to the ASP.NET site's usernames & roles,
which are not related to SQL Server instance's login & users.

sm