SQL Server 2005 Restore Error

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Jayakrishnan, Jul 15, 2009.

  1. Jayakrishnan

    Jayakrishnan Guest

    In SQL Server 2005, I need to append data using restore option. How to
    deal with this. I need to append data not to overwrite.

    I tried "RESTORE WITH RECOVERY" option. I received the following error.

    "The tail of the log for the database "pubs" has not been backed up. Use
    BACKUP LOG WITH NORECOVERY to backup the log if it contains work you do
    not want to lose. Use the WITH REPLACE or WITH STOPAT clause of the
    RESTORE statement to just overwrite the contents of the log.
    (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"

    I tried Backup with transaction log option. and restored it. I received
    the following error.

    "The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are
    ready to rollforward. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"

    Thanks in advance.

    Jay..

    Jayakrishnan, Jul 15, 2009

  2. Jayakrishnan

    David C Guest

    Try the sqlserver.server forum.

    David C, Jul 15, 2009

  3. Jayakrishnan

    Jayakrishnan Guest

    David C wrote:
    > Try the sqlserver.server forum.
    > "Jayakrishnan" <> wrote in message
    >> In SQL Server 2005, I need to append data using restore option. How to
    >> deal with this. I need to append data not to overwrite.
    >>
    >> I tried "RESTORE WITH RECOVERY" option. I received the following error.
    >>
    >> "The tail of the log for the database "pubs" has not been backed up. Use
    >> BACKUP LOG WITH NORECOVERY to backup the log if it contains work you do
    >> not want to lose. Use the WITH REPLACE or WITH STOPAT clause of the
    >> RESTORE statement to just overwrite the contents of the log.
    >> (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"
    >>
    >> I tried Backup with transaction log option. and restored it. I received
    >> the following error.
    >>
    >> "The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are
    >> ready to rollforward. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Jay..

    thanks

    Jayakrishnan, Jul 16, 2009
  4. Jayakrishnan

    Jayakrishnan Guest

    David C wrote:
    > Try the sqlserver.server forum.
    > "Jayakrishnan" <> wrote in message
    >> In SQL Server 2005, I need to append data using restore option. How to
    >> deal with this. I need to append data not to overwrite.
    >>
    >> I tried "RESTORE WITH RECOVERY" option. I received the following error.
    >>
    >> "The tail of the log for the database "pubs" has not been backed up. Use
    >> BACKUP LOG WITH NORECOVERY to backup the log if it contains work you do
    >> not want to lose. Use the WITH REPLACE or WITH STOPAT clause of the
    >> RESTORE statement to just overwrite the contents of the log.
    >> (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"
    >>
    >> I tried Backup with transaction log option. and restored it. I received
    >> the following error.
    >>
    >> "The log or differential backup cannot be restored because no files are
    >> ready to rollforward. (Microsoft.SqlServer.Smo)"
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance.
    >>
    >> Jay..

    thanks

    Jayakrishnan, Jul 16, 2009