SQL server access from asp.net via ads-group-member

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Michael, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Hi,

    in our intranet we have an active-directory with two groups. one called
    reading and the other one writing. we use windows-authentication to
    know who is comming in. we get the REMOTE_USER-Name, lookup ads and get
    the real name and the group the user is in.
    up to now we choose which connection string and user to sql-server to
    use (read or write) because of the group name from ads.

    so far so good, but we want to know who is currently using the
    database. we only get our two different read or write-connections but
    no specific user.

    how do we see who is currently working on the database? it won't make
    sense to put all user into sql-server and use a connection for each
    user?
    any help would be greatful.

    Michael
    Michael, Oct 4, 2006

  2. Michael

    Joe Kaplan Guest

    You could just use a trusted connection type of connection string, along
    with impersonation, and use Windows security in SQL directly.

    However, to get this working, you'll likely need to get Kerberos delegation
    working as well.

    Joe K.

    http://www.directoryprogramming.net

    Joe Kaplan, Oct 4, 2006