SQL Server does not exist or access denied

mal hit

We developed an ASP.NET application on Windows 2000/SQL Server 2000/IIS
5.0. Recently, we moved the SQL Server 2000 database to Windows 2003.
Now, we are unable to connect to the database (on Windows 2003 Standard
Ed.) via ASP.NET code on Windows 2000 Standard Ed. The error we get is:
SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

The SQL Server very much exists on Win 2003. We are able to connect to
it remotely via every known manner (SQL Server Client tools), VB 6.0 and
VB.NET Windows-based apps. We are just unable to connect to it via
ASP.NET code using VS .NET 2002.

The website's TCP Port is 81 and SSL Port is 8081.

Any help on resolving "SQL Server does not exist or access denied" error
would be appreciated.

From web.config file:

</configuration>

<appSettings>

<add key="s_connString"
value="Server=nn.154.15.nnn;Database=easr;Uid=sam;Pwd=samsam;Min Pool
Size=5;Max Pool Size=100;Connect Timeout=5;" />

</appSettings>

<system.web>

<identity impersonate="true" />

<compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true" />

<customErrors mode="RemotUOnly" defaultRedirect="~/nossl/ErrorPage.aspx"
/>

<authentication mode="Windows” />

<authorization>

<allow users="*" />

</authorization>

<trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false"
tr_'0eMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true" />

</system.web>

</configuration>

Ray Costanzo [MVP]

Do you really have nn.154.15.nnn as the IP? Or did you do that because this
server is connected directly to the Internet and you modified it for posting
purposes? If so, is it behind a firewall that you need to get through?
Does the SQL server have any ipsec rules preventing a connection from the
Web server's IP? When you connect via every known manner, are you doing so
from the Web server?

Also, please see http://www.aspfaq.com/5002 if it turns out to be a coding
issue.

Ray at work

Bob Barrows [MVP]

mal said:
We developed an ASP.NET application on Windows 2000/SQL Server
2000/IIS
5.0. Recently, we moved the SQL Server 2000 database to Windows 2003.
Now, we are unable to connect to the database (on Windows 2003
Standard Ed.) via ASP.NET code on Windows 2000 Standard Ed. The error
we get is: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

The SQL Server very much exists on Win 2003. We are able to connect to
it remotely via every known manner (SQL Server Client tools), VB 6.0
and VB.NET Windows-based apps. We are just unable to connect to it via
ASP.NET code using VS .NET 2002.

It very much sounds like a permissions issue to me. Is your site using
anonymous access? Is it using impersonation?
If this hint doesn't help, try the aspnet group.

Bob Barrows