SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by mal hit, Oct 4, 2005.

  1. mal hit

    mal hit Guest

    We developed an ASP.NET application on Windows 2000/SQL Server 2000/IIS
    5.0. Recently, we moved the SQL Server 2000 database to Windows 2003.
    Now, we are unable to connect to the database (on Windows 2003 Standard
    Ed.) via ASP.NET code on Windows 2000 Standard Ed. The error we get is:
    SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    The SQL Server very much exists on Win 2003. We are able to connect to
    it remotely via every known manner (SQL Server Client tools), VB 6.0 and
    VB.NET Windows-based apps. We are just unable to connect to it via
    ASP.NET code using VS .NET 2002.

    The website's TCP Port is 81 and SSL Port is 8081.

    Any help on resolving "SQL Server does not exist or access denied" error
    would be appreciated.

    From web.config file:

    </configuration>

    <appSettings>

    <add key="s_connString"
    value="Server=nn.154.15.nnn;Database=easr;Uid=sam;Pwd=samsam;Min Pool
    Size=5;Max Pool Size=100;Connect Timeout=5;" />

    </appSettings>

    <system.web>

    <identity impersonate="true" />

    <compilation defaultLanguage="vb" debug="true" />

    <customErrors mode="RemotUOnly" defaultRedirect="~/nossl/ErrorPage.aspx"
    />

    <authentication mode="Windows” />

    <authorization>

    <allow users="*" />

    </authorization>

    <trace enabled="false" requestLimit="10" pageOutput="false"
    tr_'0eMode="SortByTime" localOnly="true" />

    </system.web>

    </configuration>

    mal hit, Oct 4, 2005

  2. Do you really have nn.154.15.nnn as the IP? Or did you do that because this
    server is connected directly to the Internet and you modified it for posting
    purposes? If so, is it behind a firewall that you need to get through?
    Does the SQL server have any ipsec rules preventing a connection from the
    Web server's IP? When you connect via every known manner, are you doing so
    from the Web server?

    Also, please see http://www.aspfaq.com/5002 if it turns out to be a coding
    issue.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Oct 4, 2005

  3. mal hit wrote:
    > We developed an ASP.NET application on Windows 2000/SQL Server
    > 2000/IIS
    > 5.0. Recently, we moved the SQL Server 2000 database to Windows 2003.
    > Now, we are unable to connect to the database (on Windows 2003
    > Standard Ed.) via ASP.NET code on Windows 2000 Standard Ed. The error
    > we get is: SQL Server does not exist or access denied.

    > The SQL Server very much exists on Win 2003. We are able to connect to
    > it remotely via every known manner (SQL Server Client tools), VB 6.0
    > and VB.NET Windows-based apps. We are just unable to connect to it via
    > ASP.NET code using VS .NET 2002.

    It very much sounds like a permissions issue to me. Is your site using
    anonymous access? Is it using impersonation?
    If this hint doesn't help, try the aspnet group.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET

    Bob Barrows [MVP], Oct 4, 2005