SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Guest

Hi

We have to serveres, a webserver A and a sql server B, running Windows 2003
and SQL 2000/IIS6

On the webserver we are running some 30 ASP websites (not ASP.NET) and they
connect to the SQL server.

"Sometimes" (a very precise definition) the sites fail with this error:
*****************
Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access
denied.

*****************
And only secounds later all is OK again. Now, why is that - what should I
look for? I've tried looking in the event lock - nothing. I tried different
trace runs, but actually I do not know what to look for and therefore did not
really find anything I might use.

Guest

Hi

Thanks, but it did not help - I don't think it did :) I have allready
looked at most of the articles but they do not seam to cover my problem -
again please correct me if im wrong.

It looks to me as if all postings are about total failure - my problem is
not. A guess would be that 99% of all requests do actually work. Then once in
a while I get the error and 15 sec. later all is OK again.

Did I miss a post og article that matches this? I would guess ether the
database and/or login works or it does not?

Regards
Jan

Juan T. Llibre

re:
99% of all requests do actually work. Then once in
a while I get the error and 15 sec. later all is OK again.

That sounds like a network problem.

Try to troubleshoot your network's connectivity.

Guest

i've setup a few sensors

1. connecting from A to B (b being the MSSQL server)
2. connecting from B to B (localhost/ASP script - same script as in 1.)
3. a html page on B

when 1. and 2. fails 3 i still OK - then I would think is a DB problem not a
net problem connecting to B?

Could it be due to resource problems? There's no connection limits

Trevor Benedict R

1. Confirm that it is definitely not a Network issue
2. Make sure that you test using the IP instead of the SQL Server Name.
3. Release all connections back to the Pool.

Regards,

Trevor Benedict R
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

Guest

Hi

How can I satisfy your no. 1? We are running 4 tests every 15 sec.

1) on the webserver we call testA.asp that connects to mssql and does a
simple select - it connects using dns name
2) on the webserver we call testB.asp - same script as i 1) but using IP
(internal IP)
3) on the mssql sever vi run the same script as on 1) but with localhost and
tried the IP as well
4) we call a simple html page on the mssql server

1, 2 and 3 all fail at the same time and at the same time 4 does NOT fail -
it is possible to connect to IIS on the MSSQL server and therefore the
network connection to Mssql server is possible?

What would you like me to test and I will hurry up and do it?

Best regards
Jan

Trevor Benedict R

I do not have a direct answer to your Question, but this is what I would
do. Since it connects most of the time, I can safetly say that it is not
related to an invalid user name or Password. If you have a Network
issue, then you will also see a Communication Link Failure. In your case
that does not seem to be the case. I do not see any issues with the Web
Application from the point of connecting to the SQL Server. But, would
take a look at the connection string. Are you using Integrated Security.
Hope Not. If so, then try to use a specific username & Password. This
way you can effectively make use of connection pooling.

Within the ASP.NET application, when you trap the Error, what do you do
with this. Do you go through the InnerException. SOmetimes, this will
have valuable information. If you are using the SQLClient object then
checkout the SQLErrorCollection class.

After you are finished with the Connection, what do you do with it. The
SQLConnection object when used will automatically open and close a
connection if you do not explicitly open and close it. Would you mind
positing some code.

You should also check the EventLog for any Error messages and then post
it here if you have it here.

Whenever this happens, check if your SQL Server has any locking issues.

Trevor Benedict R
Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

lisa lisa

In your "Web.config" page in the .net application in the session state
section increase the "Timeout" to some thing greater than 20 and see if
that helps.

Matt Berther

Hello lisa,

Session state has nothing to do with an ASP.NET applications ability to connect
to a SQL server. Perhaps you meant to set the ConnectionTimeout property
on the connection string?

Kevin Spencer

Hi Vishnu,

Since the original post wasn't quoted, and since we therefore have no idea
what your "same problem" is, how about posting your problem so that we can
help you solve it?

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer