SQL Server does not exist or access denied

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?SmFuIEFnZXJtb3Nl?=, Mar 11, 2005.

  1. Hi

    We have to serveres, a webserver A and a sql server B, running Windows 2003
    and SQL 2000/IIS6

    On the webserver we are running some 30 ASP websites (not ASP.NET) and they
    connect to the SQL server.

    "Sometimes" (a very precise definition) the sites fail with this error:
    *****************
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

    [DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]SQL Server does not exist or access
    denied.

    *****************
    And only secounds later all is OK again. Now, why is that - what should I
    look for? I've tried looking in the event lock - nothing. I tried different
    trace runs, but actually I do not know what to look for and therefore did not
    really find anything I might use.

    --
    Regards
    Jan Agermose
    =?Utf-8?B?SmFuIEFnZXJtb3Nl?=, Mar 11, 2005

  2. Patrick Olurotimi Ige, Mar 11, 2005

  3. Hi

    Thanks, but it did not help - I don't think it did :) I have allready
    looked at most of the articles but they do not seam to cover my problem -
    again please correct me if im wrong.

    It looks to me as if all postings are about total failure - my problem is
    not. A guess would be that 99% of all requests do actually work. Then once in
    a while I get the error and 15 sec. later all is OK again.

    Did I miss a post og article that matches this? I would guess ether the
    database and/or login works or it does not?

    Regards
    Jan

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFuIEFnZXJtb3Nl?=, Mar 14, 2005
  4. re:
    > 99% of all requests do actually work. Then once in
    > a while I get the error and 15 sec. later all is OK again.

    That sounds like a network problem.

    Try to troubleshoot your network's connectivity.

    Juan T. Llibre
    ASP.NET MVP
    http://asp.net.do/foros/
    Foros de ASP.NET en Español
    Ven, y hablemos de ASP.NET...
    ======================

    Juan T. Llibre, Mar 14, 2005
  5. i've setup a few sensors

    1. connecting from A to B (b being the MSSQL server)
    2. connecting from B to B (localhost/ASP script - same script as in 1.)
    3. a html page on B

    when 1. and 2. fails 3 i still OK - then I would think is a DB problem not a
    net problem connecting to B?

    Could it be due to resource problems? There's no connection limits

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFuIEFnZXJtb3Nl?=, Mar 14, 2005
  6. 1. Confirm that it is definitely not a Network issue
    2. Make sure that you test using the IP instead of the SQL Server Name.
    3. Release all connections back to the Pool.

    Regards,

    Trevor Benedict R
    Microsoft Certified Solution Developer

    Trevor Benedict R, Mar 14, 2005
  7. Hi

    How can I satisfy your no. 1? We are running 4 tests every 15 sec.

    1) on the webserver we call testA.asp that connects to mssql and does a
    simple select - it connects using dns name
    2) on the webserver we call testB.asp - same script as i 1) but using IP
    (internal IP)
    3) on the mssql sever vi run the same script as on 1) but with localhost and
    tried the IP as well
    4) we call a simple html page on the mssql server

    1, 2 and 3 all fail at the same time and at the same time 4 does NOT fail -
    it is possible to connect to IIS on the MSSQL server and therefore the
    network connection to Mssql server is possible?

    What would you like me to test and I will hurry up and do it?

    Best regards
    Jan

    =?Utf-8?B?SmFuIEFnZXJtb3Nl?=, Mar 14, 2005
  8. I do not have a direct answer to your Question, but this is what I would
    do. Since it connects most of the time, I can safetly say that it is not
    related to an invalid user name or Password. If you have a Network
    issue, then you will also see a Communication Link Failure. In your case
    that does not seem to be the case. I do not see any issues with the Web
    Application from the point of connecting to the SQL Server. But, would
    take a look at the connection string. Are you using Integrated Security.
    Hope Not. If so, then try to use a specific username & Password. This
    way you can effectively make use of connection pooling.

    Within the ASP.NET application, when you trap the Error, what do you do
    with this. Do you go through the InnerException. SOmetimes, this will
    have valuable information. If you are using the SQLClient object then
    checkout the SQLErrorCollection class.

    After you are finished with the Connection, what do you do with it. The
    SQLConnection object when used will automatically open and close a
    connection if you do not explicitly open and close it. Would you mind
    positing some code.

    You should also check the EventLog for any Error messages and then post
    it here if you have it here.

    Whenever this happens, check if your SQL Server has any locking issues.

    Trevor Benedict R, Mar 15, 2005
  9. =?Utf-8?B?SmFuIEFnZXJtb3Nl?=

    lisa lisa Guest

    In your "Web.config" page in the .net application in the session state
    section increase the "Timeout" to some thing greater than 20 and see if
    that helps.

    lisa lisa, Mar 17, 2005
  10. =?Utf-8?B?SmFuIEFnZXJtb3Nl?=

    Matt Berther Guest

    Hello lisa,

    Session state has nothing to do with an ASP.NET applications ability to connect
    to a SQL server. Perhaps you meant to set the ConnectionTimeout property
    on the connection string?

    --
    Matt Berther
    http://www.mattberther.com

    Matt Berther, Mar 17, 2005
  11. =?Utf-8?B?SmFuIEFnZXJtb3Nl?=

    Vishnu Soles Guest

    Have you solved your problem? I have got exactly the same problem

    Vishnu Soles, Mar 25, 2005
  12. Hi Vishnu,

    Since the original post wasn't quoted, and since we therefore have no idea
    what your "same problem" is, how about posting your problem so that we can
    help you solve it?

    --
    HTH,

    Kevin Spencer