SQL Server does not exists... Yada, yada, yada

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Damien, Sep 5, 2006.

  1. Damien

    Damien Guest

    Hi Guys,

    Yet another person suffering from the infamous "SQL Server does not
    exist or access is denied problem". I've looked through a fair bit of
    the checklists, but none have resolved my problem as yet. Here's what
    we're using:

    Machine running ASP.Net is either a Window 2000 Pro or Windows XP Pro
    box (tried both). The server is Windows 2003, running SQL Server 2000.

    We have an ASP.Net 1.1 application that consists of a simple set of
    pages/code behind and a separate DLL which performs the data
    operations. The DLL knows how to find it's own connection string from
    the registry (uses SQL Authentication, BTW)

    If we add the data DLL to a Windows Forms application, it connects
    fine, so we know that the connection string stored in the registry is
    correct. We've also demonstrated that we can connect using Query
    Analyzer, using the same username/password, both whilst running under a
    domain users account, and whilst running under the local system
    account.

    This has led me to suspect it's "something" special to ASP.Net. We've
    unregistered/reregistered ASP.Net using aspnet_regiis (also, bear in
    mind that we get the same from both test machines). We've tried
    switching ASP.Net from using the ASPNET account to using the SYSTEM
    account. We've tried forcing the connection to use Named Pipes, or to
    use TCP/IP (and we've verified that both protocols are enabled at both
    client and server). We've tried adding an <impersonate> element into
    web.config. None of these has changed the error message (other than it
    taking longer to error when we forced tcp connection).

    We've verified under all these circumstances that we don't even get a
    login failure in profiler.

    So, what I'm looking for is more ideas of where we should look?

    Thanks in advance for any help,

    Damien
    Damien, Sep 5, 2006