    fence to go to SQL Server 2005 for all new development projects. Can
    anybody help me with this?

    Steve

    Steve Kershaw, Dec 14, 2006

  2. A resonable amount of results come up in google on this as its a common
    consideration for people.
    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...0&ct=result&cd=1&q=SQL 2005 vs oracle&spell=1

    Specifically, take read of
    http://www.microsoft.com/sql/solutions/migration/oracle/oraclemigratewp.mspx

    You need to question why they are thinking of changing, and if the
    justification can be achieved. I prefer SQL server but thats because we
    have SQL DBA's who know how to use it correctly. If your companies DBA's
    are unskilled in SQL server then instantly you have a significant reskilling
    cost and a risk for all new projects. Look at that at least against the
    Total Costs of Ownership, and the benefits of SQL Server and VS.NET
    integration leading to reduced time to market and you may have some valid
    arguments.

    --
    Regards

    John Timney (MVP)
    VISIT MY WEBSITE:
    http://www.johntimney.com
    http://www.johntimney.com/blog

    John Timney \(MVP\), Dec 14, 2006

  3. Steve Kershaw

    Mark Rae Guest

    > I'm working at a company that is considering changing from Oracle to
    > SQL Server 2005. The debate goes on and on and on....

    First question - why is your company considering this...? Are they unhappy
    with Oracle for some reason...? Is it maybe too expensive...? Oracle is a
    huge player in the RDMBS market...

    > I need some arguments that will help me convince those who are on the
    > fence to go to SQL Server 2005 for all new development projects. Can
    > anybody help me with this?

    Depends what your company thinks is currently wrong with Oracle...

    If it's currently working for you, I really can't think of any reason to
    change...

    Mark Rae, Dec 14, 2006
  4. I can give you the marketing BS and my personal preferences and why. But,
    those are not objective reasons to switch your RDBMS platform. SQL SERer
    2005 is finally at a level where I feel it can compete head-to-head with
    Oracle on many levels. It scales much better than Oracle. There are also
    many added benefits, like asynch queues (Service Broker), Reporting and
    Notifications, along with the ability to easily implement SOA through HTTP
    endpoints. But, your company may have already spent the money to have all of
    that in Oracle. Unless they are unhappy with ongoing fees, I see few reasons
    to just dump Oracle.

    You need to give more information about what you are doing and the reasons
    for considering SQL Server over Oracle for future development. In addition,
    what are the skillsets of your DBAs; if they are all Oracle, you have a
    hiring issue.

    --
    Gregory A. Beamer
    MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA

    Think outside the box!

    Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\), Dec 14, 2006
  5. Steve Kershaw

    sloan Guest

    I've used Oracle 9i.

    (let me say that I'm a Sql Server 7.0,2000,2005 first)

    And the XML functionality in Sql Server is much easier, better in my
    opinion.

    Oracle XML was a total pain compared to sql server.

    But I wouldn't say that would justify a move from Oracle to SqlServer. As
    "pro Sql Server" as I am.

    But I wanted to share that direct experience item with you.

    sloan, Dec 14, 2006
  6. Steve Kershaw

    Karl Seguin Guest

    Well, between December 2000 and November 2006, 233 security vulnerabilities
    were found in Oracle database products by OUTSIDE researchers versus 59 for
    SQL server.

    Also since the release of SQL Server 2005, Microsoft hasn't released a
    single security patch - and it isn't because they've been lazy, it's because
    nothing's been found yet.

    Here are some sources:
    http://www.computerworld.com/action...cleBasic&articleId=9005383&source=rss_topic17

    http://www.databasesecurity.com/dbsec/comparison.pdf

    Oracle has seen a huge increase in security issues lately and has received a
    lot of bad press for it..

    Karl

    --
    http://www.openmymind.net/
    http://www.fuelindustries.com/

    Karl Seguin, Dec 14, 2006
  7. Steve Kershaw

    Guest

    Funny, I don't see any measure of actual severity listed here anywhere.
    I would take 1000+ app crashes over 1 slammer worm.

    These are both good RDBMS systems and the decision between them should
    be dependent mainly on your resources (staff knowledge as well as
    money) and the actual application(s) (performance/scalability needs,
    target platforms, etc). Since you haven't supplied any of this
    information it's hard for us to offer much constructive help.

    Karl Seguin wrote:
    > Well, between December 2000 and November 2006, 233 security vulnerabilities
    > were found in Oracle database products by OUTSIDE researchers versus 59 for
    > SQL server.
    >
    > Also since the release of SQL Server 2005, Microsoft hasn't released a
    > single security patch - and it isn't because they've been lazy, it's because
    > nothing's been found yet.
    >
    > Here are some sources:
    > http://www.computerworld.com/action...cleBasic&articleId=9005383&source=rss_topic17
    >
    > http://www.databasesecurity.com/dbsec/comparison.pdf
    >
    > Oracle has seen a huge increase in security issues lately and has received a
    > lot of bad press for it..
    >
    > Karl
    >
    > --
    > http://www.openmymind.net/
    > http://www.fuelindustries.com/
    >

    > "Steve Kershaw" <> wrote in message
    > >I need your help!
    > >
    > > I'm working at a company that is considering changing from Oracle to
    > > SQL Server 2005. The debate goes on and on and on....
    > >
    > > I need some arguments that will help me convince those who are on the
    > > fence to go to SQL Server 2005 for all new development projects. Can
    > > anybody help me with this?
    > >
    > > Steve

    , Dec 14, 2006
  8. Steve Kershaw

    Karl Seguin Guest

    That's a fair point...but, without having a source handy, I'm almost
    positive that there have been no security issues (yet) with SQL Server 2005
    while there have been numeruous issues with Oracle's latest offering - 30
    something this year alone I believe.

    Slammer sucked, but it looks like they were atleast able to learn from it..

    Karl

    --
    http://www.openmymind.net/
    http://www.codebetter.com/

    Karl Seguin, Dec 15, 2006
  9. Having used both, I strongly prefer SQL Server 2005.
    Much better tools making it easier to administrate.

    The .NET integration offers nice flexibility with
    windows apps and asp.net applications. The whole
    microsoft set of offerings and toolsets are superior
    to Oracle and the common java implementations.

    Being able to use the same database on the desktop
    as you would on the server makes it much easier
    to create software families that work both locally/disconnected
    and in partnership with server oriented members of
    the family.

    --
    Robbe Morris - 2004-2006 Microsoft MVP C#
    I've mapped the database to .NET class properties and methods to

    Robbe Morris [C# MVP], Dec 15, 2006
  10. Steve Kershaw

    Mark Rae Guest

    "Robbe Morris [C# MVP]" <> wrote in message

    > Much better tools making it easier to administrate.

    'Administrate'...???

    Tsk tsk, Robbie... ;-)

    Mark Rae, Dec 15, 2006