sql session state for .net v1.1/.net v2.0 and sql server 2005

Guest

We are upgrading to a new server which has SQL 2005 (previously we had SQL
2000) and I wish to do the necessary set up to enable SQL Session state for
asp.net applications. Currently we are running .Net 1.1 applications but in
future we will also be running .Net v2.0 applications. I am a bit unsure
about how to set up the sql session state. Under SQL 2000/.Net 1.1 I just ran
the InstallPersistSQLState.sql script in the
Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322 folder. I notice that there is the same
script in the Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727 but it says that it is for
backward compatabilty only and that I should use aspnet_regsql.exe instead.
Will this be ok for both .Net 1.1 and .Net 2.0 on SQL 2005??

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Scott,

Welcome to the MSDN newsgroup.

As for the ASP.NET SqlServer session, each version of the .net framework
will provide its own register script or tool for configuring session
database in SqlServer. Therefore, which one to use(install sql script or
aspnet_regsql.exe) depend on which version of ASP.NET your web application
will run under. If your web application is running against ASP.NET 1.1, you
should use the InstallXXXSqlState.sql script in the .net framework 1.1's
folder, else if your web application is running against ASP.NET 2.0, you
should use the aspnet_regsql.exe tool to configure the SQLServer database
instead(no matter Sql 2000 or 2005).

If there's anything unclear, please feel free to post here.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Guest

Thanks for the reply although I am a bit confused I will be running
applications under both asp.net 1.1 and asp.net 2.0, however both the
IInstallXXXSqlState and the aspnet_regsql.exe both seem to generate the same
ASPState database so which one to use? At the moment I am testing asp.net 1.1
sites after I generated the database with the asp.net_regsql.exe and they
seem to run ok. Is it ok to continue with this?

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your response Scott,

Well I got that you need to run both asp.net 1.1 and 2.0 application on the
same server and only one SQLServer instance, correct? If so, I think your
current choice is reasonable, we're encouraged to always use the new
version since it will provide most backaward compatibility support.