SQL syntax error in INSERT INTO statement

Nathan Sokalski

When trying to submit data to an Access database using ASP.NET I recieve the
following error:

[OleDbException (0x80040e14): Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement.]
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextErrorHandling(Int32 hr)
+41
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS
dbParams, Object& executeResult) +174
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult)
+92
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior,
Object& executeResult) +65
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior
behavior, String method) +112
System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +66
PAPresenters.register.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
c:\inetpub\wwwroot\PAPresenters\register.aspx.vb:220
eventArgument) +57
sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

The SQL in the CommandText property immediately before the the
ExecuteNonQuery method, which I got using Visual Studio's debugger, are:
Debug.Print cmdSubmitToDB.CommandText

"INSERT INTO members
(organization,address1,city,state,zip,county,cell,email,password,membertype)
VALUES('Nate''s House','1234 My
House','MyCity','CA','12345','NONE','123-456-7890','(e-mail address removed)','mypassword','artistagent')"

What is wrong with the syntax in this statement? Is there any way I can have
be told where in the statement the error is? Thanks.

Guest

hi,
use [password] instead of password in the insert statement since password is
a reserved keyword.

--
The best
srini

Nathan Sokalski said:
[...]

Paul Clement

¤ hi,
¤ use [password] instead of password in the insert statement since password is
¤ a reserved keyword.

Sure is. You can always check the links below should you have any doubts:

List of Microsoft Jet 4.0 reserved words
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321266

List of reserved words in Access 2002 and Access 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286335

ODBC Reserved Keywords
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...us/odbc/htm/odbclist_of_reserved_keywords.asp

Paul
~~~~
Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

William \(Bill\) Vaughn

Right and better yet setup a Parameter-driven Command instead of using ad
hoc queries--unless you don't care about SQL injection and a number of other
issues.

--
____________________________________
William (Bill) Vaughn

Nathan Sokalski said:
[...]

+33

The SQL in the CommandText property immediately before the the
ExecuteNonQuery method, which I got using Visual Studio's debugger, are:
Debug.Print cmdSubmitToDB.CommandText

"INSERT INTO members
(organization,address1,city,state,zip,county,cell,email,password,membertype)
VALUES('Nate''s House','1234 My
House','MyCity','CA','12345','NONE','123-456-7890','(e-mail address removed)','mypassword','artistagent')"

What is wrong with the syntax in this statement? Is there any way I can
have
be told where in the statement the error is? Thanks.

Joined
Aug 20, 2008
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
It worked for me

I had the same problem where i have used :
Insert into table (password,...)
you must use :
Insert into table ([password],...) to have an valid sql expression

tnx

Joined
Sep 3, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I have a syntax error in (insert into) statement

my statment is like that

d = "insert into cv1(name,birth,country,city,address,tel,school,spch,quali,email,pers,user)values('" + nme.Text + "','" + birth.Text + "','" + country.Text + "','" + city.Text + "','" + address.Text + "','" + tel.Text + "','" + school.Text + "','" + spech.Text + "','" + quali.Text + "','" + email.Text + "','" + pers.Text + "','" + user.Text + "')"

and my proplem is :
when i start debuging an error happen which is syntax error INSERT INTO statement and the program highlight the cmd.excutenonquery() statment
so if any one can help me in this problem

:(

Ahmed Samir