SQL syntax error in INSERT INTO statement

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Nathan Sokalski, Jul 1, 2005.

  1. When trying to submit data to an Access database using ASP.NET I recieve the
    following error:

    [OleDbException (0x80040e14): Syntax error in INSERT INTO statement.]
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextErrorHandling(Int32 hr)
    +41
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandTextForSingleResult(tagDBPARAMS
    dbParams, Object& executeResult) +174
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommandText(Object& executeResult)
    +92
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteCommand(CommandBehavior behavior,
    Object& executeResult) +65
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteReaderInternal(CommandBehavior
    behavior, String method) +112
    System.Data.OleDb.OleDbCommand.ExecuteNonQuery() +66
    PAPresenters.register.btnSubmit_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
    c:\inetpub\wwwroot\PAPresenters\register.aspx.vb:220
    eventArgument) +57
    sourceControl, String eventArgument) +18

    The SQL in the CommandText property immediately before the the
    ExecuteNonQuery method, which I got using Visual Studio's debugger, are:

    >Debug.Print cmdSubmitToDB.CommandText

    "INSERT INTO members
    (organization,address1,city,state,zip,county,cell,email,password,membertype)
    VALUES('Nate''s House','1234 My
    House','MyCity','CA','12345','NONE','123-456-7890','','mypassword','artistagent')"

    What is wrong with the syntax in this statement? Is there any way I can have
    be told where in the statement the error is? Thanks.
    --
    Nathan Sokalski

    http://www.nathansokalski.com/

    Nathan Sokalski, Jul 1, 2005

  2. hi,
    use [password] instead of password in the insert statement since password is
    a reserved keyword.

    --
    The best
    srini

    =?Utf-8?B?c3Jpbmk=?=, Jul 1, 2005

  3. Nathan Sokalski

    Paul Clement Guest

    On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 23:48:02 -0700, "srini" <> wrote:

    ¤ hi,
    ¤ use [password] instead of password in the insert statement since password is
    ¤ a reserved keyword.

    Sure is. You can always check the links below should you have any doubts:

    List of Microsoft Jet 4.0 reserved words
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;321266

    List of reserved words in Access 2002 and Access 2003
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;286335

    ODBC Reserved Keywords
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...us/odbc/htm/odbclist_of_reserved_keywords.asp

    Paul
    ~~~~
    Microsoft MVP (Visual Basic)

    Paul Clement, Jul 1, 2005
  4. Right and better yet setup a Parameter-driven Command instead of using ad
    hoc queries--unless you don't care about SQL injection and a number of other
    issues.

    --
    ____________________________________
    William (Bill) Vaughn

    William \(Bill\) Vaughn, Jul 1, 2005
  5. Nathan Sokalski

    diverge

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    It worked for me

    I had the same problem where i have used :
    Insert into table (password,...)
    you must use :
    Insert into table ([password],...) to have an valid sql expression

    tnx

    diverge, Aug 20, 2008
  6. Nathan Sokalski

    ahmed_samir

    Joined:
    Sep 3, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    I have a syntax error in (insert into) statement

    my statment is like that

    d = "insert into cv1(name,birth,country,city,address,tel,school,spch,quali,email,pers,user)values('" + nme.Text + "','" + birth.Text + "','" + country.Text + "','" + city.Text + "','" + address.Text + "','" + tel.Text + "','" + school.Text + "','" + spech.Text + "','" + quali.Text + "','" + email.Text + "','" + pers.Text + "','" + user.Text + "')"

    and my proplem is :
    when i start debuging an error happen which is syntax error INSERT INTO statement and the program highlight the cmd.excutenonquery() statment
    so if any one can help me in this problem

    :(

    Ahmed Samir

    ahmed_samir, Sep 3, 2010