SQL User authentication

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Nikolay Petrov, Oct 19, 2004.

  1. Is it possible to authenticate user using a SQL database, containing users
    and passwords?

    What I want to achive is:
    I have as SQL database containig data for my app. This database also
    contains usernames, passwords and rights which are specific for my app.
    Also I have a middle tier WebService, which contains the business logic of
    my app, and is responsible for connecting to SQL database.
    The connection between SQL server and the WebService as made with hardcoded
    user. I don't need to authenticate the Users with SQL server.
    As a frontend I have a Windows Froms and ASP .NET applications.
    The users should fill username/password boxes, then this information is to
    be passed to the WebService, which checks the username and password in the
    SQL database.
    I want the WebService methods to be available only to users, which have
    authenticated to the user database in SQL server.

    Any ideas, sample code and documents of how to implement this would be
    greatly appreciateble.
    I use VB .NET

    Thank you in advance!

    Nikolay Petrov, Oct 19, 2004

  2. Nikolay Petrov

    Mary Chipman Guest

    Yes, you can store this information in your SQL Server. The technique
    is described in the ASP.NET security best practices whitepaper, which
    is a free download from
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/release.asp?ReleaseID=44047

    --Mary

    Mary Chipman, Oct 19, 2004