SQL User authentication

Nikolay Petrov

Is it possible to authenticate user using a SQL database, containing users
and passwords?

What I want to achive is:
I have as SQL database containig data for my app. This database also
contains usernames, passwords and rights which are specific for my app.
Also I have a middle tier WebService, which contains the business logic of
my app, and is responsible for connecting to SQL database.
The connection between SQL server and the WebService as made with hardcoded
user. I don't need to authenticate the Users with SQL server.
As a frontend I have a Windows Froms and ASP .NET applications.
The users should fill username/password boxes, then this information is to
be passed to the WebService, which checks the username and password in the
SQL database.
I want the WebService methods to be available only to users, which have
authenticated to the user database in SQL server.

Any ideas, sample code and documents of how to implement this would be
greatly appreciateble.
I use VB .NET

Thank you in advance!