SqlCacheDependency - repost in hopes of a reply

Adrian Parker

I've got the standard SqlCacheDependency working just fine , ie. I've
defined (and encrypted) the connectionStrings section in the web.config, and
I've also defined an an sqlCacheDependency in the caching section. So, in my
code I add an item to the cache with an sqlCacheDependency, referencing the
named sqlCacheDependency in the web.config and the database table it is to
be based on (have enabled notificiations for that table). Fine.

What I'd like to do however is too dynamically build the connection strings
and define the sqlCacheDependencies dynamically as well (ie not in the
web.config), although thats thats too important, it's the connection string
I'm really interested in.

I've been on the web, even had a look at the .net classes using the
reflector.exe. I've tried creating a SqlCacheDependencyDatabase dynamically
but when I try and reference it by name in the constructor for
sqlCacheDependency it can't find it because it's only looking at ones that
have been loaded from the web.config.

The reason the connection strings have to be dynamically created is that the
app is deployed on several different client sites, and they have control
over the db server and the db name, but we need to keep the user name and
password to ourselves. We already build our connection strings dynamically
for normal db stuff. We have a custom section within the web config where
the client puts the db server and the db name.

It doesn't seem like such an strange thing to want to do, either I'm missing
something or it's harder than it should be.

Guadala Harry

Maybe I'm just easily confused - but are you asking about [how to
dynamically encrypt a dynamically created connection string], or how to
[dynamically create a sqlCacheDependency]? or both?

Normally I wouldn't reply if I don't understand the question - but
apparently nobody else is answering; perhaps they're confused as well. Maybe
it would help to break up this "master question" into individual other more
specific questions; one for the connection string, another for the dynamic
sqlCacheDependency. I'd take a shot at answering both here - but I don't
know the answers!

-GH

Adrian Parker

Harry, thanks for responding..

Basically, the problem as we see it is that to use SQLCacheDependency, it
seems that you have to use a hard coded connection string in the cache
section of the web.config, which isn't going to work for us because we
cannot expose the specific database credentials to the network people who
would be specifying the DBserver and DBname to connect to; We can't have the
whole connection string in the web.config, and so have to build it in the
application at runtime e.g.

constr = "Data Source=" + aDBServer + ";Initial Catalog=" + aDBName + ";User
ID=" + aUser + ";pwd=" + aPwd

We know the user and password, but not the dbserver or dbname
and the customer network people know the dbserver and name, but not the user
or password.

So how do we use cache dependency without hard coding the connection string
in the web.config ?

Many Thanks
Adrian

Adrian Parker said:
[...]

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Adrian,

As for the connectionstring setting for ASP.NET 2.0's SqlDependecy caching,
it must be configured in web.config file and asp.net runtime will always
retrieve the configuration from there. En, if you do need to dynamically
specify such connectionstring setting, we can consider using the .net 2.0's
configuration api to do it in applicatino_Start event, for example:

============
void Application_Start(Object sender, EventArgs e) {
// Code that runs on application startup
Configuration config =

System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager.OpenWebConfiguration(HttpCo
ntext.Current.Request.ApplicationPath);
ConfigurationSectionGroup group =
config.SectionGroups["system.web"];
config.ConnectionStrings.ConnectionStrings.Add(
new ConnectionStringSettings( "aaa", "Data
Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=testdb;Integrated Security=True")
);

SystemWebCachingSectionGroup cachesg =
group.SectionGroups["caching"] as SystemWebCachingSectionGroup;
cachesg.SqlCacheDependency.Databases["TestDB"].ConnectionStringName
= "aaa";

config.Save();
}
================

actually the configuration api just provde the easy to use adminstation
interfaces for manipulating web.config(or app config....)

However, since it'll cause the web.config be modifed at runtime, we are
recommended to avoid using them in our application code as much as possible.

Thanks,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

--------------------
> [...]
| >> that
| >> have been loaded from the web.config.
| >>
| >> The reason the connection strings have to be dynamically created is
that
| >> the
| >> app is deployed on several different client sites, and they have
control
| >> over the db server and the db name, but we need to keep the user name
and
| >> password to ourselves. We already build our connection strings
| >> dynamically
| >> for normal db stuff. We have a custom section within the web config
| >> where
| >> the client puts the db server and the db name.
| >>
| >> It doesn't seem like such an strange thing to want to do, either I'm
| >> missing
| >> something or it's harder than it should be.

Steven,

So in summary, because we cannot expose the database credientials to the
network people who would be specifying the dbserver/dbname, we cannot use
SqlCacheDependency as that requires you to compromise db security by
including the credentials in the web.config, which isn't possible when they
have to be specified at runtime.

If this is the case, then you really need to change this.

Thanks
Adrian Parker

Steven Cheng said:
> [...]

| >> that
| >> have been loaded from the web.config.
| >>
| >> The reason the connection strings have to be dynamically created is
that
| >> the
| >> app is deployed on several different client sites, and they have
control
| >> over the db server and the db name, but we need to keep the user name
and
| >> password to ourselves. We already build our connection strings
| >> dynamically
| >> for normal db stuff. We have a custom section within the web config
| >> where
| >> the client puts the db server and the db name.
| >>
| >> It doesn't seem like such an strange thing to want to do, either I'm
| >> missing
| >> something or it's harder than it should be.

Thanks for your response Adrian,

Yes, as for your scenario, i'll be hard to utilize the current
configuration model of the sqlcache. However, because the sqlcache need to
be pre configured for each application(since the asp.net runtime need to
constantly do data polling from database), we need to specify the complete
server connection info at design-time rather than runtime. Anyway, i'll
forward this request to our dev team though I think it may takes time for
them to change the current sqlcache configuration model.
Thanks for your understanding.

> [...]

| > ConfigurationSectionGroup group =
| > config.SectionGroups["system.web"];
| > config.ConnectionStrings.ConnectionStrings.Add(
| > new ConnectionStringSettings( "aaa", "Data
| > Source=localhost;Initial Catalog=testdb;Integrated Security=True")
| > );
| >
| > SystemWebCachingSectionGroup cachesg =
| > group.SectionGroups["caching"] as SystemWebCachingSectionGroup;

cachesg.SqlCacheDependency.Databases["TestDB"].ConnectionStringName
| > = "aaa";
| >
| > config.Save();
| > }
| > ================
| >
| > actually the configuration api just provde the easy to use adminstation
| > interfaces for manipulating web.config(or app config....)
| >
| > However, since it'll cause the web.config be modifed at runtime, we are
| > recommended to avoid using them in our application code as much as

| > |
| > | Harry, thanks for responding..
| > |
| > | Basically, the problem as we see it is that to use
SQLCacheDependency,
| > it
| > | seems that you have to use a hard coded connection string in the cache
| > | section of the web.config, which isn't going to work for us because we
| > | cannot expose the specific database credentials to the network people
| > who
| > | would be specifying the DBserver and DBname to connect to; We can't
have
| > the
| > | whole connection string in the web.config, and so have to build it in
| > the
| > | application at runtime e.g.
| > |
| > | constr = "Data Source=" + aDBServer + ";Initial Catalog=" + aDBName +
| > ";User
| > | ID=" + aUser + ";pwd=" + aPwd
| > |
| > | We know the user and password, but not the dbserver or dbname
| > | and the customer network people know the dbserver and name, but not
the
| > user
| > | or password.
| > |
| > | So how do we use cache dependency without hard coding the connection
| > string
| > | in the web.config ?
| > |
| > | Many Thanks