sqlDataSource questions, anyone?

Jason Shohet

I'm using the new SqlDataSource with the beta. Below I have my code:

asp:SqlDataSource ID="ds" Runat="server" SelectCommand="SELECT
employee_ssno, firstname, lastname FROM employee_temp order by lastname"

ConnectionString="<%$ ConnectionStrings:AppConnectionString1 %>"
ProviderName="System.Data.OleDb" UpdateCommand="UPDATE DBOWEB.EMPLOYEE_TEMP
SET firstname=?, lastname=? WHERE employee_ssno=?">

</asp:SqlDataSource>

Q1: That 1 updatecommand above takes care of the select, the update, the
delete... everything it seems. Anyhow, I can't figure out how to specify
that the firstname & lastname fields above be lowercase. Its not like its a
regular Oracle query where i can use the Lower function in the select
statement. This is a parameterized query using OLEDB. Any ideas how to
get a field to display lower case?

Q2: dumb question. I'd like web services to handle a lot of the querying,
that way they can be used across multiple applications etc. I assume that
you can NOT use sqlDataSource in a web service? We've tried it, but can't
get it to work. In asp.net 1.0 we have a web service return a dataset and
have a datagrid use that dataset as its source. In asp.net 2.0, whats the
way to go in regards to passing a result set back from a web service, and
having the gridview consume it? I'm not sure what to do.

Q3: the dumbest question. Is the .net 2.0 framework available so I can put
it on our test deployment server? I mean, I'm ready to go live with an
application and I'm not sure where to get the framework to put on the
windows2003 server. Right now it only has 1.1, which comes w/ 2003.

TY! Jason Shohet