SqlDataSource - strange error (to me at least) ;-)

J. Jespersen

Hi all,

Have been using SqlDataSources for a while now. Reinstalled machine last
week, now running Server 2003. Installed both SqlServer 2000 and 2005 with
instance-names "sql2000" and "sql2005". Also installed both Visual Studio
2003 and 2005. VS2005 is the Release Candidate, and SQL2005 is the September
CTP.

During SqlDataSource configuration wizard, i can test connection and all is
fine. I can see table names and views in the "query builder" thingie, but
once i do the "Test Query" things go bad. I get an "Invalid Object Name" on
the table from which the datasource should retrieve its data.

I have posted small video of me producing the error. Any input is welcomed.
I suspect the side-by-side 2000 and 2005 installation, but it _shouldn't_ be
a problem, should it?
The video is here: http://www.netkoder.dk/error.wmv

Again, thanks for any input.

J.Jespersen
Denmark

Kevin Spencer

Nice work on the video! It presented a lot of information, and was located
on your own server, thus preserving good Netiquette!

The "invalid object name" error indicates that the named object (in this
case "Contact" was not identifiable. And I noticed a glaring omission in the
video. You never looked at the Connection String.

A SQL Server Connection String may or may not reference an "InitialCatalog."
The InitialCatalog is the database that the connection defines as the
default database for queries. In a sense, it is like an "Imports" ("using")
directive in your programming code. Having one makes it unnecessary to refer
to the database by name, and simply use the names of objects in the database
without the full namespace.

Your query was:

"Select * from [Contacts]"

Now, if "dbo.AdventureWorks" was the InitialCatalog, the table should have
been found. So, the first thing I would do is check the ConnectionString for
the "InitialCatalog" in it.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
Ambiguity has a certain quality to it.

J. Jespersen

Nice work on the video! It presented a lot of information, and was located
on your own server, thus preserving good Netiquette!

Thanks. I did cross-post, however, so ease up on the praise ;-)
And I noticed a glaring omission in the video. You never looked at the
Connection String.

Having double-checked, I can confirm that the "initial catalog" property of
the connectionstring _was_ set to AdventureWorks, thus preserving totalt
empusslement. (is that a word?)
I've posted the site (as I created it as file-based, not http/ftp) in a .zip
file @ http://www.netkoder.dk/test.zip

Just in case anyone cares :)

J.Jespersen

J. Jespersen said:
[...]

Btw, everything works out fine if I connect to the SQL2000 instance on the
same server.
But not the 2005 instance.

J.Jespersen

Kevin Spencer

Well, J, I thought I'd point out a good way to make a lot of information
about a problem available without overloading the news server, so, as you
corrected the cross-posting issue, you are indeed a praiseworthy fellow!
Particularly as you did it again with the link to the Zip file. :)

At first blush, everything looked Kosher. Your Connection String:

"Data Source=.\SQL2005;Initial Catalog=AdventureWorks;Integrated
Security=True" providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"

is correct, as far as the InitialCatalog is concerned. It does reference the
AdventureWorks InitialCatalog. After looking over the very simple code you
generated, I can only guess that the issue may have something to do with
permissions. I must confess that I haven't played much with ASP.Net 2.0, so
I'm not entirely sure what permissions are being used at what point in the
process of creating a GridView in an ASP.Net Page. I would think that
setting up the Connection in the Web.Config file was done under your user
account, and that setting up the GridView in the Page was done using the
user account under which your ASP.Net application is running. You're using a
Trusted Connection, so that means that the account is a Windows account, not
a SQL Server account (at least with SQL Server 2000 this is the case; I
haven't used SQL Server 2005 yet).

You might want to check the specific permissions granted to that account in
the AdventureWorks database.