sqldatasource using a stored procedure with OUTPUT parameters only

Andy in South Jersey

I have a sqldatasource control that has SelectCommand set to StoredProcedure,
and that stored procedure only returns OUTPUT parameters, it doesn't return a
recordset. It has one INPUT parameter. I would like to set the OUTPUT
values that are returned by the SP to the text value of labels that I have on
my page.

When I configure the datasource I set the Direction to Output, I then
"Finish" and when I go back to the configuration it says InputOutput, but the
source code says:

<asp:parameter Direction="Output" Name="weight" Type="Int32" />

So, that was an initial concern, but I don't think that's the problem.

Via SQL Profiler I don't see the stored procedure being called. Do I have
to associate it with a control to be called?

Do I set the values for the labels in the _selected event? At this point, I
can't get the _selected event for the sqldatasource to occur.