SQLExpress as a Web Application's Profile/Role data store

Jason Kendall

My team builds special purpose applications to support the accounting
firm I work for. We also develop the firm's intranet.

We've started to build new applications in .Net 2.0 and I'm wondering
how well the apps will perform if we deploy them using the SQLExpress
database that is created by default as part of our apps. This would
be very nice since all of the app specific roles, membership and
profile information would be stored with the app and would be very
easy to move from one server to another. I haven't seen any numbers
on whether there is much of a "hit" on the web server to attach/detach
these databases when an app starts and shuts down.

FWIW, our server has excess memory and CPU availability.

Thanks for any insite.

Guest

SQL Express is good for development, however for deployment you really want
to get SQL 2005 to handle the load. I don't think the SQL Express was
intended for deployment, so you may get into some limitations if you try
that.

I'll look for the table of comparison and post it if I find it.

Cheers
Al

Jason Kendall

Al,

If you find that table, I'd love to see it. No worries if you don't,
though. I figured that the recommendation would be as you describe
anyway. I was just hoping that SQLExpress was a panacea. :)

P. Wills

As it's been explained to me by the Microsoft SQL team, SQL Express *is*
meant for production. It's meant to go head-to-head with MySQL4...

Over the summer I was at a MSFT event and one of the architects explained
that any simple website that just needs to read/write values to a database
will be fine with SQL Express in production.