sqlite3-ruby gem install problem

Tom Cloyd

[on Kubuntu Linux 8.04.1, with Ruby 1.8.6 and latest rubygems]

I think the installation routine was looking for sqlite3.h and couldn't
find it, but I may be way off. I'm clearly beyond my comfort/knowledge
boundary...again. Here's the first part of the console output:

===
tomc@tomc-desktop:~/Ruby-work$ sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby
[sudo] password for tomc:
ERROR: Error installing sqlite3-ruby:

/usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
checking for fdatasync() in -lrt... yes
checking for sqlite3.h... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.

Tom Cloyd

Tom said:
[on Kubuntu Linux 8.04.1, with Ruby 1.8.6 and latest rubygems]

I think the installation routine was looking for sqlite3.h and couldn't
find it, but I may be way off. I'm clearly beyond my comfort/knowledge
boundary...again. Here's the first part of the console output:

===
tomc@tomc-desktop:~/Ruby-work$ sudo gem install sqlite3-ruby
[sudo] password for tomc:
ERROR: Error installing sqlite3-ruby:

/usr/local/bin/ruby extconf.rb install sqlite3-ruby
checking for fdatasync() in -lrt... yes
checking for sqlite3.h... no
*** extconf.rb failed ***
necessary libraries and/or headers. Check the mkmf.log file for more
details. You may need configuration options.
.
.
.
===

I'm installing this for use with Radiant, if that matters, as advised by
http://wiki.radiantcms.org/Installation - "If you are using a newer
version of SQLite3, make sure you have the latest version of
sqlite3-ruby (1.2.1), or you will have problems with NULL fields."

IF it needs sqlite3.h (which I confirmed is not to be found in my file
system), where do I get it, and where do I put it? It's not in the Adept
package manager.

Thanks for any help, which is much needed at this point.

t.

Well, drat. While poking around a blog post about the Junebug wiki,
relevant because it's installed on the Radiantcms.org website (which
presumably is running Radiant (!) - and that confuses me - I found this:

"make sure you have the libsqlite3-dev package installed on
(ubuntu|debian), or the sqlite gem won't compile"

I love secret knowledge, but only when I'm in on the secret. I simply
cannot imagine how I might have know this in advance.

In any case, THAT IS in the adept package manager, and installing solved
the problem.

On to the next one.

t.

Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< (e-mail address removed) >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
<< sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)

Frederick Cheung

[on Kubuntu Linux 8.04.1, with Ruby 1.8.6 and latest rubygems]

I think the installation routine was looking for sqlite3.h and
couldn't find it, but I may be way off. I'm clearly beyond my
comfort/knowledge boundary...again. Here's the first part of the
console output:
You probably need the libsqlite3-dev package.

Fred
===
[...]

Niklas said:
Hello,

hm, a missing header file can mostly be compensated by installing the sources/header files of the underlying library. this seems kind of logical to me. and those header packages are normally called "libXXX-dev" on debian. so this isn't really a secret. just do a "apt-cache search libsqlite | grep dev" and install the resulting packages.

Greetings,
Niklas

Niklas, I would only ask you to consider that there are people out there
struggling with ruby - to get some rather mundane things done (like
translate HTML to Textile) - who come from very far away, conceptually.
We find minutes in the evening, and sometimes hours on weekends, to do
our struggling. We do NOT know what header files are (could that be
because we're not C programmers? Maybe. I'm just guessing, though.) Many
things are a mystery to us.

I'd love to take a year off and get really educated in things
Ruby-related, but that's not going to happen. I'm glad - very glad -
that there are forums to which we can bring our simple questions, else
we'd mostly just die in the midst of our perennial ignorance.

So, I'm glad that what's a problem for me probably isn't for most other
people here on in the Ruby community. And I do know that every month a
learn a little more, but it comes slowly.

I'm not in any way offended by anything you said, or by the fact that my
question might have seemed bafflingly simple. I'm just wanting to
explain things a bit. I'm an expert in a very different field, and I
know that THERE, it also is easy to forget how little others know who
pass through my world only occasionally. For what it's worth, in well
over a decade of being professionally involved in my field, and
avocationally involved in yours, I never once met any who comes close to
my level of knowledge of matters relating to computer and programming.
I'm sad about that, but it's true. Here I'm pretty dumb, true, but not
in the rest of the world. (All of which is not much help to me when I
get stuck.)

But don't worry. I'll likely give you and others occasion to practice
patience again, and possibly soon!