SqlMembership Provider without dbo owner

Mike Endys

Hello guys,

I have this problem:

My webhosting provider does not allow to set dob owner to the tables, views
and stored procedures that are used by SQLMembership Provider.
I tried create script by aspnet_regsql utility and change there all dbo. to
the myown. owner. Then I applied the script to the webhosting sql server.
All tables, views and stored procedures has been created but the
SqlMemebrship provider asking me still for dbo.aspnet_CheckSchemaVersion

Is there any way to configure the SqlMembership Provider to use another
owner than dbo. ???

Thanks for help

Mike

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Mike,

The SqlMembershipProvider internally uses dbo.SP_Name. Here's the code
snippet from the source code of SqlMembershipProvider:

SqlCommand command = new
SqlCommand("dbo.aspnet_Membership_CreateUser", connection.Connection);

You can see it's hard coded so I think dbo schema is required for the
stored procedure.
To solve this problem I think you have two options.

" Persuade your web hosting provider to allow this.
" Implement a custom Membership provider (It's a little complicated)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/f1kyba5e.aspx

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

sloan

"Persuade" your host ... OR Drop That Hosting provider.

That is a very limiting factor for them to implement. Too limiting in my
opinion.

Allen is correct that a custom provider is the other option, but to
reiterate, it is NOT trivial.

Get a different hosting provider.

Cowboy \(Gregory A Beamer\)

There are certain things that are hard coded, as Allen has stated. There is
a way around the mess, however, and it is to set up your own custom
provider. With Reflector you can examine the default SQL Provider and mimic
it with your own namespace. There are plenty of Google hits on custom
membership provider out there.

The default implementation, however, does not allow what you desire.

Cowboy \(Gregory A Beamer\)

They are the easiest methods, as you simply move on. You can also code a
custom membership provider.

Perhaps by the next iteration, these will be exposed in config, but they are
not now.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Mike,

Have you got the expected answer? If you have additional questions please
feel free to ask.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Community Support

Joined
Jun 22, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
I hade the same problem so when MS released the source I removed the need for dbo. In all other ways it's the exact same implementation so no new code is needed. Also included is a db script for creating the tables.

Just search for Källsbo Consulting on google....

Sincerely

Kristofer Källsbo