SQLServer login with Trusted Connection thru ASP

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Jim Corey, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. Jim Corey

    Jim Corey Guest

    We're looking at logging on to SQLServer using Windows Authentication
    from an ASP app, and trying to figure out what will work.

    The following connection string works with Basic Authentication:
    driver={SQL
    Server};SERVER=MyServer;Database=MyDB;Trusted_Connection=yes;

    Is there a way to do this with IIS security set to Integrated Windows
    Authentication?

    More: This is an existing app where currently each user has a database
    login. We want to get away from that. Another option would be to
    create a database user for the app, so we may do that. Any opinions
    welcome.

    TIA,
    Jim

    Jim Corey, Dec 28, 2004

  2. AFAIK, no, you cannot use integrated authentication and then in turn
    use a trusted connection from the IIS server to the SQL Server. It
    has something to do with the non-creation of kerberos tickets and
    other sorts of things that I don't fully understand.
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=176377

    I suggest one single SQL login for the application. Are there any
    concerns with that? Not that this is the most helpful thing in the
    world, but you could always do something like:

    sConnectionString = Application("ConnectionString") & ";Application
    Name=JimApp accessed by " & Request.ServerVariables("AUTH_USER")

    if you're just curious to see who's doing what.

    Ray at work

    Ray Costanzo [MVP], Dec 28, 2004

  3. Jim Corey wrote:
    > We're looking at logging on to SQLServer using Windows Authentication
    > from an ASP app, and trying to figure out what will work.
    >
    > The following connection string works with Basic Authentication:
    > driver={SQL
    > Server};SERVER=MyServer;Database=MyDB;Trusted_Connection=yes;
    >
    > Is there a way to do this with IIS security set to Integrated Windows
    > Authentication?
    >
    > More: This is an existing app where currently each user has a
    > database login. We want to get away from that. Another option would
    > be to create a database user for the app, so we may do that. Any
    > opinions welcome.
    >
    > TIA,
    > Jim

    This article should contain all you need to know to do this. Pay attention
    and follow the links in the article where relevant:
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2126

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET