SQLServer Session State and lots of SPIDs to the ASPSTATE database

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Kevin Jackson, May 18, 2006.

  1. We are running a ASP.NET 1.1 web app on Windows Server 2003 SP1. We are
    using IIS 6.0 native mode and .NET 1.1 SP1 is installed.

    We have 3 web apps in our web farm. We are using SQLServer session state
    and have our machinekeys matched. We just launched a few days ago.

    We did an iisreset this morning on all 3 and tonight when things settled
    down I noticed we had 30 SPIDs still connected to the web apps. These SPIDs
    were all connected to the ASPState database (around 10 SPIDs coming from
    each webapp). The SPIDs connected to our main database had released from
    the pool and only a few remained.

    After doing some profiling, I noticed that the ASPState database was getting
    hammered by calls to

    declare @p2 varbinary(7000)
    set @p2=NULL
    declare @p3 bit
    set @p3=1
    declare @p4 int
    set @p4=13520
    declare @p5 int
    set @p5=50
    exec dbo.TempGetStateItemExclusive2
    @id='4y4ren45clx5wpuwzwgz0r55b1e38631',@itemShort=@p2 output,@locked=@p3
    output,@lockAge=@p4 output,@lockCookie=@p5 output
    select @p2, @p3, @p4, @p5

    I have read that this could happen with earlier versions of .NET if a
    non-serializable object was attempted to be stored in session. However I
    thought this problem of infinite looping was fixed and an error was
    generated.

    Anyone have this situation or know what's going on?
    Kevin Jackson, May 18, 2006