SQLServer360.com

comingdt

Hello,

I am new to Google Groups, my name is Derek Comingore. I have just
recently started an online sql server community at www.sqlserver360.com
(yes I am an XBox junkie as well). The idea behind the organization is
to create an online sql server community which rewards it most active
members! Thus the organization is only as successful as the members
make it!

Please let me know what your thoughts are?
Would you join?
Why? Why Not?

Thanks for your time,
Derek

Keith Thompson

I am new to Google Groups, my name is Derek Comingore.

Then you need to understand the distinction between Google Groups and
Usenet.

Usenet is a system of newsgroups that has existed for decades; it even
predates the Internet.

groups.google.com provides an interface to Usenet. It also provides
some of its own non-Usenet groups. Confusingly, Google doesn't do a
very good job of making clear which groups are their own, and which
ones they're just providing an interface to.

Additionaly, their Usenet interface has some serious problems which
they have so far refused to correct. See
I have just
recently started an online sql server community at www.sqlserver360.com
(yes I am an XBox junkie as well).

Finally, this newsgroup is comp.lang.c, which is for discussion of the
C programming language, particularly as defined by the ISO standards.
Since your posting has nothing to do with standard C, it's off-topic
here.

There's a comp.databases.ms-sqlserver newsgroup (also Usenet, not
Google), but I don't know whether your announcement would be topical
there. Read some of that group's archives and its FAQ list (if it has
one) before posting.

Richard Heathfield

(e-mail address removed) said:
Hello,

I am new to Google Groups,

This is not Google Groups. This is Usenet. Calling it Google Groups is a bit
like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it through a
burger-shop window.
my name is Derek Comingore. I have just
recently started an online sql server community at www.<elided>.com

Er, okay...
Please let me know what your thoughts are?

My thoughts are not your thoughts.
Would you join?
No.

Why? Why Not?

Because I wouldn't join any group started by a person who didn't know the
difference between Google Groups and Usenet.

Randy Howard

Richard Heathfield wrote
(in article
(e-mail address removed) said:

This is not Google Groups. This is Usenet. Calling it Google Groups is a bit
like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it through a
burger-shop window.

Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
mistakes, only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
on McDonalds. :)

And now for the URL I never thought I would post anywhere during
my lifetime: http://www.mcdonalds.com/

Christopher Benson-Manica

Randy Howard said:
Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
mistakes, only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
on McDonalds. :)

Perhaps Mr. Heathfield has simply been watching too many Highlander
reruns of late? :)

Richard Heathfield

Randy Howard said:
Richard Heathfield wrote
(in article

Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
mistakes,

I did, didn't I? Well, you konw what they say about rpidde coming before a
fall?

(Yes, that's how I type when I don't allow myself the use of the backspace
key. Not *too* shabby, on the whole.)
only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
on McDonalds. :)

No doubt this is the very company that is so famous for their flagship
product, the Big Mc.

Randy Howard

Richard Heathfield wrote
(in article
No doubt this is the very company that is so famous for their flagship
product, the Big Mc.

Indeed. Nobody (that I knew) ever said anything about product
marketing people making sense.

Al Balmer

recently started an online sql server community at www.sqlserver360.com
(yes I am an XBox junkie as well). The idea behind the organization is
to create an online sql server community which rewards it most active
members! Thus the organization is only as successful as the members
make it!

Please let me know what your thoughts are?
Would you join?
Why? Why Not?
No. Because the organizer isn't qualified to operate an "on-line
community", since he doesn't understand the difference between Google
Groups and Usenet, or even the difference between SQL Server and the C
language.

Kenny McCormack

Randy Howard said:
Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
mistakes, only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
on McDonalds. :)

Or he's been watching (the movie) Fargo recently. In that movie, one of
the affectations is the old guy referring to it as "MacDonalds".

Mark McIntyre

that must be a typo above on McDonalds. :)

As a Scot, I can tell you you're both wrong, and so is the gizzard
grinder. Its spelt Mhic Dhomhnuill..

Mark Eoghainn Macaoidh Mhic an Tsaoir

Richard Bos

Mark McIntyre said:
As a Scot, I can tell you you're both wrong, and so is the gizzard
grinder. Its spelt Mhic Dhomhnuill..

Mark Eoghainn Macaoidh Mhic an Tsaoir

You misspelled Mearoigh... don't tell me that your first name only
exists in Sassenach? (Anyway, Mark Owen Mickey?)

Richard

Mark McIntyre

Mark Eoghainn Macaoidh Mhic an Tsaoir

You misspelled Mearoigh... don't tell me that your first name only
exists in Sassenach? (Anyway, Mark Owen Mickey?)[/QUOTE]

Mark's a greek name, and you need to know how to pronounce it to get
the rest right... Eo is essentially silent, gh is a soft j, and
pretty much everything after the c of the third word is pronounced as
a single letter i
Mark McIntyre