  1. Guest

    Hello,

    I am new to Google Groups, my name is Derek Comingore. I have just
    recently started an online sql server community at www.sqlserver360.com
    (yes I am an XBox junkie as well). The idea behind the organization is
    to create an online sql server community which rewards it most active
    members! Thus the organization is only as successful as the members
    make it!

    Please let me know what your thoughts are?
    Would you join?
    Why? Why Not?

    Thanks for your time,
    Derek

    , Jan 6, 2006

  2. writes:
    > I am new to Google Groups, my name is Derek Comingore.

    Then you need to understand the distinction between Google Groups and
    Usenet.

    Usenet is a system of newsgroups that has existed for decades; it even
    predates the Internet.

    groups.google.com provides an interface to Usenet. It also provides
    some of its own non-Usenet groups. Confusingly, Google doesn't do a
    very good job of making clear which groups are their own, and which
    ones they're just providing an interface to.

    Additionaly, their Usenet interface has some serious problems which
    they have so far refused to correct. See
    <http://cfaj.freeshell.org/google/> for details.

    > I have just
    > recently started an online sql server community at www.sqlserver360.com
    > (yes I am an XBox junkie as well).

    Finally, this newsgroup is comp.lang.c, which is for discussion of the
    C programming language, particularly as defined by the ISO standards.
    Since your posting has nothing to do with standard C, it's off-topic
    here.

    There's a comp.databases.ms-sqlserver newsgroup (also Usenet, not
    Google), but I don't know whether your announcement would be topical
    there. Read some of that group's archives and its FAQ list (if it has
    one) before posting.

    Keith Thompson, Jan 6, 2006

  3. said:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I am new to Google Groups,

    This is not Google Groups. This is Usenet. Calling it Google Groups is a bit
    like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it through a
    burger-shop window.

    > my name is Derek Comingore. I have just
    > recently started an online sql server community at www.<elided>.com

    Er, okay...

    > Please let me know what your thoughts are?

    My thoughts are not your thoughts.

    > Would you join?

    No.

    > Why? Why Not?

    Because I wouldn't join any group started by a person who didn't know the
    difference between Google Groups and Usenet.

    --
    Richard Heathfield
    "Usenet is a strange place" - dmr 29/7/1999

    Richard Heathfield, Jan 6, 2006
  4. Randy Howard Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote
    (in article
    <dpldi5$4ef$-infra.bt.com>):

    > said:
    >
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I am new to Google Groups,

    > This is not Google Groups. This is Usenet. Calling it Google Groups is a bit
    > like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it through a
    > burger-shop window.

    Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
    mistakes, only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
    on McDonalds. :)

    And now for the URL I never thought I would post anywhere during
    my lifetime: http://www.mcdonalds.com/

    --
    Randy Howard (2reply remove FOOBAR)
    How 'bout them Horns?

    Randy Howard, Jan 6, 2006
  5. Randy Howard <> wrote:

    > Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
    > mistakes, only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
    > on McDonalds. :)

    Perhaps Mr. Heathfield has simply been watching too many Highlander
    reruns of late? :)

    Christopher Benson-Manica, Jan 6, 2006
  6. Randy Howard said:

    > Richard Heathfield wrote
    > (in article
    > <dpldi5$4ef$-infra.bt.com>):
    >
    >> said:
    >>
    >>> Hello,
    >>>
    >>> I am new to Google Groups,

    >> This is not Google Groups. This is Usenet. Calling it Google Groups is a
    >> bit like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it
    >> through a burger-shop window.

    > Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
    > mistakes,

    I did, didn't I? Well, you konw what they say about rpidde coming before a
    fall?

    (Yes, that's how I type when I don't allow myself the use of the backspace
    key. Not *too* shabby, on the whole.)

    > only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
    > on McDonalds. :)

    No doubt this is the very company that is so famous for their flagship
    product, the Big Mc.

    Richard Heathfield, Jan 6, 2006
  7. Randy Howard Guest

    Richard Heathfield wrote
    (in article
    <dplto9$g26$-infra.bt.com>):

    >> only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
    >> on McDonalds. :)

    > No doubt this is the very company that is so famous for their flagship
    > product, the Big Mc.

    Indeed. Nobody (that I knew) ever said anything about product
    marketing people making sense.

    Randy Howard, Jan 6, 2006
  8. Al Balmer Guest

    On 5 Jan 2006 18:29:06 -0800, wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >I am new to Google Groups, my name is Derek Comingore. I have just
    >recently started an online sql server community at www.sqlserver360.com
    >(yes I am an XBox junkie as well). The idea behind the organization is
    >to create an online sql server community which rewards it most active
    >members! Thus the organization is only as successful as the members
    >make it!
    >
    >Please let me know what your thoughts are?
    >Would you join?
    >Why? Why Not?

    No. Because the organizer isn't qualified to operate an "on-line
    community", since he doesn't understand the difference between Google
    Groups and Usenet, or even the difference between SQL Server and the C
    language.

    --
    Al Balmer
    Sun City, AZ

    Al Balmer, Jan 6, 2006
  9. In article <>,
    Randy Howard <> wrote:
    >Since you recently informed us that you do not make spelling
    >mistakes, only typographical errors, that must be a typo above
    >on McDonalds. :)

    Or he's been watching (the movie) Fargo recently. In that movie, one of
    the affectations is the old guy referring to it as "MacDonalds".

    Kenny McCormack, Jan 6, 2006
  10. On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:00:59 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Randy Howard
    <> wrote:

    >> like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it through a

    >that must be a typo above on McDonalds. :)

    As a Scot, I can tell you you're both wrong, and so is the gizzard
    grinder. Its spelt Mhic Dhomhnuill..

    Mark Eoghainn Macaoidh Mhic an Tsaoir

    --
    "The lusers I know are so clueless, that if they were dipped in clue
    musk and dropped in the middle of pack of horny clues, on clue prom

    Mark McIntyre, Jan 7, 2006
  11. Richard Bos Guest

    Mark McIntyre <> wrote:

    > On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 14:00:59 GMT, in comp.lang.c , Randy Howard
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >> like calling your town "MacDonalds" because you're looking at it through a

    > >that must be a typo above on McDonalds. :)

    > As a Scot, I can tell you you're both wrong, and so is the gizzard
    > grinder. Its spelt Mhic Dhomhnuill..
    >
    > Mark Eoghainn Macaoidh Mhic an Tsaoir

    You misspelled Mearoigh... don't tell me that your first name only
    exists in Sassenach? (Anyway, Mark Owen Mickey?)

    Richard

    Richard Bos, Jan 9, 2006
  12. On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:31:58 GMT, in comp.lang.c ,
    (Richard Bos) wrote:

    >Mark McIntyre <> wrote:
    >
    >> Mark Eoghainn Macaoidh Mhic an Tsaoir

    >You misspelled Mearoigh... don't tell me that your first name only
    >exists in Sassenach? (Anyway, Mark Owen Mickey?)

    Mark's a greek name, and you need to know how to pronounce it to get
    the rest right... Eo is essentially silent, gh is a soft j, and
    pretty much everything after the c of the third word is pronounced as
    a single letter i
    Mark McIntyre

    Mark McIntyre, Jan 9, 2006