square root sqrt algorithm and flowchart

popeyerayaz

I am a complete beginner and have the following instructions:

Develop a algorithm and flowchart that enables a user to choose one of
the following types of calculations to
perform on an input number.

Calculate the square of the number
Calculate the cube of the number
Round the number to two decimal places
Calculate the square root of the number

I only had to choose one and chose the "Calculate the square root of
the number".
I have the following algorithm

Algorithm

1. Input: a real number X
sqrt(x) = x^0.5
2. If (X < 0) Then
Output: X “ cannot be negative.”
STOP
Edif

My flowchart is on the following web page:
http://www.popeyeray.com/lesson6.htm

I would appreciate someone to check if this is mostly correct.
I also am not sure about the error message and how to put it into my
flowchart.

Thank you
Ray

Martin Gregorie

I only had to choose one and chose the "Calculate the square root of
the number".
I have the following algorithm
Read the requirement more carefully. It says the USER of your algorithm
makes the choice, not you. Your algorithm must include that as well as
ways of doing all four calculations.

Comp.Sci. 101 is learning to read and understand what the requirement
actually says, not what you think it says.
I would appreciate someone to check if this is mostly correct.
I also am not sure about the error message and how to put it into my
flowchart.
So, no your answer is not correct because you've left out most of the
requirement.

Arne Vajhøj

Roedy said:
that is not what they were thinking of. They were thinking of a loop
that gradually homes in on the answer.

they were probably expected you to code something like this based on
elementary differential calculus.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fractional_calculus

Considering the other tasks:
Calculate the square of the number
Calculate the cube of the number
Round the number to two decimal places

Then it seems as a good guess that Math.sqrt would be
sufficient !

Arne