Squashed Images

Discussion in 'HTML' started by Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005.

  1. I've got a couple images that when displayed in Opera get squashed.

    The height and width attributes are correct. They display correctly in
    other browsers.

    Example

    How they look here, in Opera (bad) and FF (good):

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/squash.jpg

    The page:

    http://blinkynet.net/wwii/c47armed1.html

    I don't know if anybody else's Opera is doing this, but here's the other
    image that this happens with:

    http://blinkynet.net/comp/bhard.html

    Look at the three-shot image of Thurston, and specifically the center
    image there. The black fan grill is square in that head-on shot; Opera
    shows this image squashed, and that's easiest to see because that
    square fan is shown as being about 70% as tall as it is wide.

    Again, the width/height values are correct and it's only Opera that
    shows the squashed view.

    (There are other examples, but it's not predictable -- for instance, the
    blinkynet logo in the header of each page is rendered not-squashed in
    Opera.)

    What the heck?

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Blinky the Shark

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Aug 1, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Blinky the Shark

    Adrienne Guest

    Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
    <> writing in
    news::

    > I've got a couple images that when displayed in Opera get squashed.
    >
    > The height and width attributes are correct. They display correctly in
    > other browsers.
    >
    > Example
    >
    > How they look here, in Opera (bad) and FF (good):
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/squash.jpg
    >
    > The page:
    >
    > http://blinkynet.net/wwii/c47armed1.html
    >


    Looks fine here, Opera 8.01 Win


    --
    Adrienne Boswell
    http://www.cavalcade-of-coding.info
    Please respond to the group so others can share
    Adrienne, Aug 1, 2005
    #3
  4. Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <> said:


    >> How they look here, in Opera (bad) and FF (good):


    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/squash.jpg


    >> The page:


    >> http://blinkynet.net/wwii/c47armed1.html


    > Looks fine here in both Opera and FF.


    >> What the heck?


    > Try clearing your cache?


    Not even enabled.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005
    #4
  5. Adrienne wrote:
    > Gazing into my crystal ball I observed Blinky the Shark
    ><> writing in
    > news::


    >> I've got a couple images that when displayed in Opera get squashed.


    >> The height and width attributes are correct. They display correctly in
    >> other browsers.


    >> Example


    >> How they look here, in Opera (bad) and FF (good):


    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/squash.jpg


    >> The page:


    >> http://blinkynet.net/wwii/c47armed1.html


    > Looks fine here, Opera 8.01 Win


    <scratching head>


    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005
    #5
  6. Blinky the Shark

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Aug 1, 2005
    #6
  7. In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > I've got a couple images that when displayed in Opera get squashed.
    >
    > The height and width attributes are correct. They display correctly in
    > other browsers.


    > What the heck?


    And good in Safari 1.3. Now back to your WWII page. I flew in a DC-3 a
    few times from Hawthorne to Reno on Bonanza Airlines in the early
    fifties. A memorable moment for me occurred when the pilot and copilot
    let me help them look for a body in Walker Lake when we flew over it at
    a few thousand feet. We didn't find it, but I haven't forgotten the
    experience in over fifty years. I think the B-52 "might" eclipse the
    C-47/DC-3 service record over time, but I wouldn't bet on it.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Aug 1, 2005
    #7
  8. Mark Parnell wrote:
    > Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <> said:
    >> Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>> Try clearing your cache?


    >> Not even enabled.


    > No idea then. What version of Opera?


    7.23. But this is the first time I've seen it; I always check my
    pages with Opera; none of these pages are new.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005
    #8
  9. [OT] Re: Squashed Images

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

    > In article <>, Blinky the
    > Shark <> wrote:


    >> I've got a couple images that when displayed in Opera get squashed.


    >> The height and width attributes are correct. They display correctly
    >> in other browsers.


    >> What the heck?


    > And good in Safari 1.3. Now back to your WWII page. I flew in a DC-3 a
    > few times from Hawthorne to Reno on Bonanza Airlines in the early
    > fifties. A memorable moment for me occurred when the pilot and copilot
    > let me help them look for a body in Walker Lake when we flew over it
    > at a few thousand feet. We didn't find it, but I haven't forgotten the
    > experience in over fifty years. I think the B-52 "might" eclipse the
    > C-47/DC-3 service record over time, but I wouldn't bet on it.


    I believe it already has for US military length of service.

    You must've seen the promise page for a real one on defensively armed
    DC3s (of any livery) during WWII. I still haven't written it or done my
    final scans, but here's are some preliminary images I put up for someone
    I was discussing it with, just tonight.

    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/turret1.jpg
    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/turret2.jpg
    http://blinkynet.net/stuff/turret3.jpg

    My first airplane ride was in a DC-3.


    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005
    #9
  10. Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:


    >> I've got a couple images that when displayed in Opera get squashed.


    >> The height and width attributes are correct. They display correctly in
    >> other browsers.


    >> What the heck?


    > And good in Safari 1.3. Now back to your WWII page. I flew in a DC-3 a


    SECOND Reply: Of *course* you saw my DC-3 page -- that was the one I
    linked with the hinky image rendering. D'oh. I missed the forest for
    the trees, and forgot that page was what I was talking about. :)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005
    #10
  11. In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > SECOND Reply: Of *course* you saw my DC-3 page -- that was the one I
    > linked with the hinky image rendering. D'oh. I missed the forest for
    > the trees, and forgot that page was what I was talking about. :)


    Of help and clueless when I did it :) Why did it work in *any* browser?

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Aug 1, 2005
    #11
  12. Re: [OT] Re: Squashed Images

    In article <>,
    Blinky the Shark <> wrote:

    > Leonard Blaisdell wrote:


    > > I think the B-52 "might" eclipse the
    > > C-47/DC-3 service record over time, but I wouldn't bet on it.

    >
    > I believe it already has for US military length of service.


    Oh, you are unquestionably correct. But for life of the aircraft, I'll
    bet some DC-3's are still flying and will for some time. And not with
    the rigorous maintainence that the B-52 has.

    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/turret1.jpg
    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/turret2.jpg
    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/turret3.jpg


    Those have to be of Russian modifications of C-47s delivered by the
    other Allies don't they? Perhaps the alphabet gave it away. I have never
    seen anything like them.

    > My first airplane ride was in a DC-3.


    And if you take another, it may be your last :)
    And now returning to alt.html, others may notice the links mentioned
    above as proof of alt.html respectability.
    Thanks Blinky. I really am interested in WWII. If you want to see
    another side of what we learned in school, read Churchill's memoirs in
    case you haven't. Block out about one to six months, depending on how
    fast you read. I'd be interested in Stalin's WWII memoirs if someone
    would direct me to them in English. I know Roosevelt's. I learned them
    in school.

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
    Leonard Blaisdell, Aug 1, 2005
    #12
  13. Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <>,
    > Blinky the Shark <> wrote:


    >> SECOND Reply: Of *course* you saw my DC-3 page -- that was the one I
    >> linked with the hinky image rendering. D'oh. I missed the forest for
    >> the trees, and forgot that page was what I was talking about. :)


    > Of help and clueless when I did it :) Why did it work in *any* browser?


    Huh? The image? Well, I don't see anything askew with the markup, and
    nobody but me has reported it rendering with the wrong proportions.
    Sample isn't large, three or four people here and a buddy I emailed
    about it, I'll grant you.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005
    #13
  14. Blinky the Shark

    Els Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > Mark Parnell wrote:
    >> Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <> said:
    >>> Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>>> Try clearing your cache?

    >
    >>> Not even enabled.

    >
    >> No idea then. What version of Opera?

    >
    > 7.23. But this is the first time I've seen it; I always check my
    > pages with Opera; none of these pages are new.


    I think it's just 7.23 that does that then. I've just checked (under
    WinXP) versions 6.06, 7.01, 7.11, 7.51 and 8.00, and none of these
    squash the image. I do remember having seen the effect of squashing
    before though, IIRC that was on Barbara de Zoete's site. Maybe it's a
    flaw only in Opera 7.23?

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Aug 1, 2005
    #14
  15. Re: [OT] Re: Squashed Images

    Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
    > In article <>, Blinky the
    > Shark <> wrote:


    >> Leonard Blaisdell wrote:


    >> > I think the B-52 "might" eclipse the C-47/DC-3 service record over
    >> > time, but I wouldn't bet on it.


    >> I believe it already has for US military length of service.


    > Oh, you are unquestionably correct. But for life of the aircraft, I'll
    > bet some DC-3's are still flying and will for some time. And not with
    > the rigorous maintainence that the B-52 has.


    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/turret1.jpg
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/turret2.jpg
    >> http://blinkynet.net/stuff/turret3.jpg


    > Those have to be of Russian modifications of C-47s delivered by the
    > other Allies don't they? Perhaps the alphabet gave it away. I have
    > never seen anything like them.


    I sent away to Russia for a May 1999 issue of a magazine with a feature
    on Russian mods during WWII, yes. Thus, Russian text -- and Russian
    captions (which, oddly enough have English translations, as you see,
    even though nothing else is in anything but Russian. I think those
    are Russian mods on Russian licensed builds; I think I've read
    something about the factory being one of the ones that they had to move
    east as Barbarossa moved across western Russia.

    The Russian model everyone talks about is the Li-2. Scroll down to
    Section 4:

    http://www.faqs.org/docs/air/avc47.html

    >> My first airplane ride was in a DC-3.


    > And if you take another, it may be your last :)


    :)

    > And now returning to alt.html, others may notice the links mentioned
    > above as proof of alt.html respectability.


    Eh?

    > Thanks Blinky. I really am interested in WWII. If you want to see
    > another side of what we learned in school, read Churchill's memoirs in
    > case you haven't. Block out about one to six months, depending on how


    I know that I'd not stick with something that long; personal flaw,
    unfortunately.

    > fast you read. I'd be interested in Stalin's WWII memoirs if someone
    > would direct me to them in English. I know Roosevelt's. I learned them
    > in school.


    Last couple of books I've read, and good ones (if not on the scale of
    Churchills volumes!):

    "Armageddon: The Battle For Germany, 1944-1945) (Max Hastings, 2004,
    ISBN 0-375-41433-9)

    "Roosevelt's Secret War: FDR and World War II Espionage" (Joseph
    Persico, 2001. ISBN 0-375-50246-7)

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005
    #15
  16. Blinky the Shark

    Els Guest

    Els wrote:

    > Blinky the Shark wrote:
    >
    >> Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>> Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <> said:
    >>>> Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>>>> Try clearing your cache?

    >>
    >>>> Not even enabled.

    >>
    >>> No idea then. What version of Opera?

    >>
    >> 7.23. But this is the first time I've seen it; I always check my
    >> pages with Opera; none of these pages are new.

    >
    > I think it's just 7.23 that does that then. I've just checked (under
    > WinXP) versions 6.06, 7.01, 7.11, 7.51 and 8.00, and none of these
    > squash the image. I do remember having seen the effect of squashing
    > before though, IIRC that was on Barbara de Zoete's site. Maybe it's a
    > flaw only in Opera 7.23?


    Found it:
    http://groups.google.nl/group/alt.html/msg/63f6a947a1b54dd1

    Haven't checked if it's the same thing on your site though, I don't
    have 7.23 to test with :)

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Aug 1, 2005
    #16
  17. Blinky the Shark

    Els Guest

    Els wrote:

    >> I do remember having seen the effect of squashing
    >> before though, IIRC that was on Barbara de Zoete's site. Maybe it's a
    >> flaw only in Opera 7.23?

    >
    > Found it:


    Not. That was in IE, not Opera.
    Sorry..

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/
    Sonhos vem. Sonhos vão. O resto é imperfeito.
    - Renato Russo -
    Els, Aug 1, 2005
    #17
  18. Els wrote:
    > Blinky the Shark wrote:


    >> Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>> Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <> said:
    >>>> Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>>>> Try clearing your cache?


    >>>> Not even enabled.


    >>> No idea then. What version of Opera?


    >> 7.23. But this is the first time I've seen it; I always check my
    >> pages with Opera; none of these pages are new.


    > I think it's just 7.23 that does that then. I've just checked (under
    > WinXP) versions 6.06, 7.01, 7.11, 7.51 and 8.00, and none of these


    You are Ms. Opera! :) Thanks, Els.

    > squash the image. I do remember having seen the effect of squashing
    > before though, IIRC that was on Barbara de Zoete's site. Maybe it's a
    > flaw only in Opera 7.23?


    But for me, the odd thing is that it wasn't doing that when I put the
    page up.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005
    #18
  19. Els wrote:
    > Els wrote:


    >> Blinky the Shark wrote:


    >>> Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>>> Previously in alt.html, Blinky the Shark <>
    >>>> said:
    >>>>> Mark Parnell wrote:
    >>>>>> Try clearing your cache?


    >>>>> Not even enabled.


    >>>> No idea then. What version of Opera?


    >>> 7.23. But this is the first time I've seen it; I always check my
    >>> pages with Opera; none of these pages are new.


    >> I think it's just 7.23 that does that then. I've just checked (under
    >> WinXP) versions 6.06, 7.01, 7.11, 7.51 and 8.00, and none of these
    >> squash the image. I do remember having seen the effect of squashing
    >> before though, IIRC that was on Barbara de Zoete's site. Maybe it's a
    >> flaw only in Opera 7.23?


    > Found it: http://groups.google.nl/group/alt.html/msg/63f6a947a1b54dd1


    <reading it>

    Well, I don't have any width:auto or height:auto anywhere, but I do have
    an .img selector (is that a selector?) in my CSS, so I removed that line
    temporarily and the image remained squashed.

    > Haven't checked if it's the same thing on your site though, I don't
    > have 7.23 to test with :)


    I just found this. Same issue, and if you scroll down to the post
    stamped "9:16 am on July 23, 2004" you'll not only find OP is using
    7.23, but something he thinks is behind the squash:

    http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum83/4171.htm

    "I've actually just worked out what it's doing.. it's making the borders
    around the images the dimentions that the image is define.. - I just
    increased the padding on my style sheet to 20.. and opera is now showing
    my thumbnails as little skinny lines. - uurgh.. any ideas on how to code
    around this?"

    Well, I have three styles for images -- one w/o borders, two with.

    As I look back, here, the two images I saw this problem with are both
    using one of those bordered image styles -- and both of those styles
    have padding:10px . If I reduce that padding to 0px, the squash goes
    away.

    Opera is, indeed, vertically rendering the image-AND-padding to fit the
    value of the image height attribute. As I vary the padding from 0
    through 5 to 10 pixels, the height of the image-AND-padding stays the
    same, and the padding increases, squashing the image. (Something else
    happens with the *horizontal* dimensions, but I don't see the same
    consistency in it.

    I caught this with a very small image -- 50h x 42w. The squash is not
    as extreme on larger images, because the 10px padding is much smaller
    relative to the image height. If Opera steals 20 (10 x 2) pixels from
    the height of an image that's 200 pixels high, the squash is a lot
    smaller proportion of image height than on the 50px-high image where I
    first noticed this.

    Also, I noted early on that my logo *isn't* squashed. That's because it
    doesn't use a style with padding.

    Thanks for getting me going in the right direction, Els. Since it's
    only happening with Opera 7.23, I'll probably not try to come up with a
    workaround, unless I decide to tackle that as just an academic
    challenge.

    Either way, I can stop scratching my head. :)

    Thanks, *again*.

    --
    Blinky Linux Registered User 297263

    Killing All Posts from GG: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html
    End Of The Good GG Archive GUI: http://blinkynet.net/comp/gggui.html
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 1, 2005
    #19
  20. Blinky the Shark

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:

    > How they look here, in Opera (bad) and FF (good):
    > http://blinkynet.net/stuff/comp/squash.jpg


    Let me guess... you're using a fairly old (pre-7.5) version of Opera?

    At some point in the 7.2x releases, a bug was introduced whereby Opera
    placed the padding and borders *inside* the image's height and width.

    This was fixed in Opera 7.5.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
    Contact Me ~ http://tobyinkster.co.uk/contact
    Toby Inkster, Aug 1, 2005
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Guest
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    890
    Eliyahu Goldin
    Jan 4, 2005
  2. Luis Esteban Valencia Muñoz
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    768
    Luis Esteban Valencia Muñoz
    Jun 3, 2005
  3. wardemon

    Cache Images vs Static Images

    wardemon, Jun 14, 2007, in forum: ASP .Net
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    657
    bruce barker
    Jun 14, 2007
  4. Keith Hughitt
    Replies:
    6
    Views:
    1,067
  5. Adrienne Boswell
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    507
    dorayme
    Aug 4, 2009
Loading...

Share This Page