    Mac installation? Or do I need to download it separate from Sun's
    site?
    Thanks.

    Greg Johnson, Sep 15, 2003

  2. Greg Johnson

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 15 Sep 2003 15:31:12 -0700, (Greg Johnson)
    wrote or quoted :

    >On my Windoze installation of Java, I can view the source files for
    >the Java libraries in src.zip. I don't recall having to do a special
    >install to get this file.
    >I just ran the Java 1.4.1 update on a system running Mac OSX (10.2.6),
    >and I cannot locate a src.jar file. Is it named something else on a
    >Mac installation? Or do I need to download it separate from Sun's

    I don't know about Macs, but the name has changed at least once, from
    src.jar to src.zip. It lives in c:\j2sdk1.4.2_01
    It comes only with the JDK, not the JRE.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Sep 16, 2003

  3. Greg Johnson

    rbs Guest

    In article <>,
    (Greg Johnson) wrote:

    > On my Windoze installation of Java, I can view the source files for
    > the Java libraries in src.zip. I don't recall having to do a special
    > install to get this file.
    > I just ran the Java 1.4.1 update on a system running Mac OSX (10.2.6),
    > and I cannot locate a src.jar file. Is it named something else on a
    > Mac installation? Or do I need to download it separate from Sun's
    > site?

    /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Home/src.jar

    rbs, Sep 16, 2003
  4. Greg Johnson

    Greg Johnson Guest

    > /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Home/src.jar

    rbs,
    Thanks for the response. That's where I'd expect to see the jar
    file....yet it isn't there.
    I've checked two different machines, and neither one has the src.jar
    file in that location.
    (or anywhere else on the machine, either. % find / -name src\.jar
    -print
    OK, so did you install the JDK from Sun, or did you end up with the
    src.jar file after running the 1.4.1 update from Apple? I'm thinking
    now that the src.jar file doesn't get installed with the Apple update,
    and that I must also install the JDK separately.

    Greg Johnson, Sep 17, 2003
  5. Greg Johnson

    rbs Guest

    In article <>,
    (Greg Johnson) wrote:

    > > /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.4.1/Home/src.jar

    > rbs,
    > Thanks for the response. That's where I'd expect to see the jar
    > file....yet it isn't there.
    > I've checked two different machines, and neither one has the src.jar
    > file in that location.
    > (or anywhere else on the machine, either. % find / -name src\.jar
    > -print
    > OK, so did you install the JDK from Sun, or did you end up with the
    > src.jar file after running the 1.4.1 update from Apple? I'm thinking
    > now that the src.jar file doesn't get installed with the Apple update,
    > and that I must also install the JDK separately.

    I have downloaded software from Sun at one time or another, but
    the Java software in the above directory is not there because of
    a Sun download. It is either there because I downloaded an Apple
    Java 1.4.1 preview earlier this year or because it is part of the
    Panther preview install. I note that the equivalent 1.3.1 Java
    software on the same machine is in

    /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.3.1/Home

    (And I note in case some were not aware, Mac OS X now allows for
    having more than one Java VM on board.)

    I do have another Mac which is still running Jaguar but with last
    week's Java 1.4.1 update. However, that 2nd Mac is not near by
    where I can check installation locations.

    rbs, Sep 18, 2003