SRV2003, ASP and Network Drives

Rick Csucsai

I have an ASP app that calls an object on the web server which goes out to a
mapped network drive to retrieve a file from a W2K file server. My current
web server is a W2K. The share on the file server as well as the NTFS
permissions on the server are wide open (Everyone Full Control) but still
require me to run the web server under an account other than the IUSR
account for the object to be able to access the file. None the less, it
works fine. However, when I run this same app on a W2K3 server, it can not
access the file from the exact same location. Seems to me I need to tell the
web server at a different level what account to run at or something. It
doesn't appear that the W2K3 web server's account has permission to access
the file despite the fact I am using the same account as the W2K. Anyone
have any ideas? The goal is to get the W2K3 web server to successfully
access a remote file on a W2K file server without any permissions problems.
Again, the share and NTFS on the file server are wide open.

Thanks!

Jeff Cochran

[...]

While I'd rethink the share and NTFS permissions being left wide open,
the key is that the user on 2003 using the ASP app has to have correct
permissions to the file/folder/share on the remote server. Since you
don't post any errors it's tough to suggest where specifically to
look, but make sure you know what account your app is actually using,
and make sure you know what access that account actually has. For
example, if you think "Everyone" gives every account access, you need
to read up on Windows groups and permissions.

Jeff

Rick Csucsai

Thanks Jeff, but I have all of that down pat. The wide open is for testing
to remove any variables. The application object simply returns an error code
of -1 which means it could not read the file. Grab the file from a local
drive and it has no problem. That is my question, what does W2K3 pass as the
user when doing something like this? Is it who the web site is running as
(i.e. IUSR_Machine name) or does IIS6 use something different since it is
now running at a lower kernel level?