SSCCE

Wojtek

SSCCE : Short, Self Contained, Compilable Example

God what an acronym. How do you pronounce that? see? ski? sksee?

There must be a better one which can be created.

Wojtek

Wojtek wrote :
SSCCE : Short, Self Contained, Compilable Example

God what an acronym. How do you pronounce that? see? ski? sksee?

There must be a better one which can be created.

AKA (Results 61 - 90 of about 10,700 English pages for SSCCE):

superficial squamous cell carcinoma of the esophagus

Sufficient Statistics Calculator for MMSE channel estimation

Southern Sudan Commission for Census, Statistics and Evaluation

Who knew?

Mike Schilling

Wojtek said:
SSCCE : Short, Self Contained, Compilable Example

God what an acronym. How do you pronounce that? see? ski? sksee?

It's better then "WWW" (a 9-syllable "abbreviation" for a three-syllable
phrase.)

Jeff Higgins

Wojtek said:
SSCCE : Short, Self Contained, Compilable Example

God what an acronym. How do you pronounce that? see? ski? sksee?

initialism v acronym
Short SC CE
SSCCE makes pretty good visual, less audible.
Consider the usual medium.

Stefan Ram

Wojtek said:
SSCCE : Short, Self Contained, Compilable Example

I suggest: »compilet«.

where the diminutive »-let« hints at the shortness.)

Jeff Higgins

Stefan said:
I suggest: »compilet«.

where the diminutive »-let« hints at the shortness.)
completelet?
nah.

Patricia Shanahan

Stefan said:
I suggest: »compilet«.

where the diminutive »-let« hints at the shortness.)

I think "Compilable" and related words are redundant.

If the problem happens at run time, a "Short, Self-Contained Example"
would necessarily compile, or it would not be an example of the problem.
If the problem happens at compile time, the example must NOT be compilable.

Patricia

Stefan Ram

Patricia Shanahan said:
If the problem happens at run time, a "Short, Self-Contained
Example" would necessarily compile, or it would not be an

OK, »compile...« can still be a part of the descriptive
phrase, in the sense of something like »a text intended
to be fed into a Java implementation (usually a compiler)«.

Andrew Thompson

(interchangable with 'correct')
I think "Compilable" and related words are redundant.

Mostly I would agree with you. This technique can
be applied to HTML/JS just as easily, and there is
no hint of compilation in any of that. And as you
pointed out..

If the problem happens at compile time, the example must NOT be compilable.

..I consider uncompilable code that fails to compile
for me, just as it does for the OP, to be an
SSC (correct) E.

To those interested in this thread. I will consider
adding any generally popular alternate term to the
page, but I would *not* consider any word based on
'compile'.

As to the abbreviation.

Hey! *You* try coming up with an unique, easy to
use group of letters that encapsulate the concept.
I had already rejected many variants because they
were too common and well used.

And, no need for any apologies (as might have been
scattered about, earlier in the thread). We all seem
to want the same basic thing, it is just a matter of
figuring the best way to communicate it.

If others want to call it ..something else but also
link to any of the pages* describing it, they
are more than welcome to do so.

* <http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.html>
<http://homepage1.nifty.com/algafield/sscce.html>
<http://mindprod.com/jgloss/sscce.html>

Roedy Green

SSCCE : Short, Self Contained, Compilable Example

God what an acronym. How do you pronounce that? see? ski? sksee?

Since this is a term used purely on newsgroups, I suppose you can
pronounce it as you please to yourself. No one else will know. I am
going to modify the entry in the Java glossary to suggest SSK_KEE,
like ski with a long s, pronounced by someone with a stutter. Andrew,
of course, as the terms coiner has the honour of announcing the
definitive pronunciation.

Andrew Thompson

Roedy said:
Since this is a term used purely on newsgroups, I suppose you can
pronounce it as you please to yourself. No one else will know. I am
going to modify the entry in the Java glossary to suggest SSK_KEE,
like ski with a long s, pronounced by someone with a stutter. Andrew,
of course, as the terms coiner has the honour of announcing the
definitive pronunciation.

(shrugs - given the invite..)
I definitiviely announce that people are welcome
to say it exactly as they like. There is no *wrong*
way to say it. (Though for the trivia side of it, I
think of it as Lew outlined it, and ..very rarely
have I needed to 'wrap my mouth around' that
phrase!)

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.athompson.info/andrew/

Lew

Andrew said:
(shrugs - given the invite..)
I definitiviely announce that people are welcome
to say it exactly as they like. There is no *wrong*
way to say it. (Though for the trivia side of it, I
think of it as Lew outlined it, and ..very rarely
have I needed to 'wrap my mouth around' that
phrase!)

The important thing is how you do it, not how you pronounce it.

Hendrik Maryns

Mike Schilling schreef:
It's better then "WWW" (a 9-syllable "abbreviation" for a three-syllable
phrase.)

That’s only if you speak English (or a language which actually needs to
words to refer to the letter ‘w’). For me it’s ‘waywayway’ (IPA
wewewe), or ‘vayvayvay’ (veveve) if I talk to Germans...

H.
--
Hendrik Maryns
==================

Chris Dollin

(fx:piggyback-one-section)

Ess Ess Sea Sea E.

(Acroynms don't need to be words.)
It's better then "WWW" (a 9-syllable "abbreviation" for a three-syllable
phrase.)

"Wuh Wuh Wuh" is three syllables.

Andreas Leitgeb

Hendrik Maryns said:
That's only if you speak English (or a language which actually needs to
words to refer to the letter 'w'). For me it's 'waywayway' (IPA
wewewe), or 'vayvayvay' (veveve) if I talk to Germans...

.... who, btw, are happy that no widespread use for "yyy" has yet come up.
(* upsilonupsilonupsilon *)

Patricia Shanahan

Chris said:
(fx:piggyback-one-section)

Ess Ess Sea Sea E.

(Acroynms don't need to be words.)

I pronounce it "example".

The rest of the full name is about what constitutes a good example for
trouble-shooting purposes. It needs to be said, because some of the
people who need to produce one do not seem to have much trouble-shooting
skill or experience. It does not need to be thought, every time examples
are requested or discussed.

"Wuh Wuh Wuh" is three syllables.

I always assumed "www" in URL's was primarily a typed, not spoken,
abbreviation and is 3 keystrokes abbreviating 14.

Patricia