    Can anyone help me out here?

    Thanks in advance

    Andy
    Andy, Jan 21, 2004

  2. Andy

    Jan Tielens Guest

    Sure you can!

    First create a certificate by using the makecert.exe tool. I use following
    parameters:

    makecert -r -pe -n "CN=yourComputerName" -b 01/01/2000 -e 01/01/2036 -eku
    1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1 -ss my -sr localMachine -sky exchange -sp "Microsoft RSA
    SChannel Cryptographic Provider" -sy 12

    Open your IIS management console, right click on the Default Website and
    choose Properties. In the Directory Security tab click the Server
    Certificate button, click next, choose Assign an existing certificate radio
    button, click next and choose the newly created certificate.

    You may be intrested to read following post too, it covers the same topic:
    http://weblogs.asp.net/jan/archive/2003/12/04/41154.aspx

    --
    Greetz

    Jan Tielens
    ________________________________

    "Andy" <> wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > I need to setup a development environment where I can call XML Web

    Services over HTTPS. I have created a .cer file using the makecert.exe
    utility but have now come to a grinding halt???

    > I am using XP Professional for my dev. machine is this a usable platform

    as I can't see Certificate Services as part of the Windows Components like
    you can in Windows Server 2003?

    Jan Tielens, Jan 21, 2004

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    I don't seem to have a version of makecert.exe that supports the -pe switch?? After removing the -pe switch I running the command I got the following error:

    C:\cert>makecert -r -n "CN=VENUS" -b 01/01/2000 -e 01/01/2036 -eku 1.3.6.1.5.5.
    ..3.1 -ss my -sr localMachine -sky exchange -sp "Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptogr
    phic Provider" -sy 12 codeclinic.ce
    Error: Can't create the key of the subject ('JoeSoft'
    Faile

    any further thoughts?
    Andy, Jan 21, 2004
  4. Andy

    Jan Tielens Guest

    I use version 5.131.3617.0.

    Probably you've got an older version. Check out this page for more
    information:
    http://www.inventec.ch/chdh/notes/14.htm

    You can download a new version here:
    http://tinyurl.com/2qnw5