SSL and web services

robconery

Hello- I have been through Google Groups and all over the web reading up on SSL and web services, and so far I think I am becoming an expert! So here's the problem-
I can connect to the web service and execute from a cosole application, and not from my web application - i receive the familiar "The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish secure channel for SSL/TLS" when i try to run this service.

I made my own ICertificatePolicy class, and am using that to ignore the warnings; that didn't do it.
I put the valid certificate in my web root, and referenced it in the code; that didn't do it
I checked my proxy connections, dropped my firewall, made sure the service was running, proxied the WSDL files on my local machine, and that didn't do it.

I can't post all of the code here for NDA reasons, but my major question is this: How is it that i can run the exact same code from a console app and have it work, and not have it work using a web app?

The only difference that i can see is that the web app process is using the ASPNET account, and not my local account, to execute the web service. I can't see how that would be an issue, but if it is, can one of you genius types offer a solution?

Thanks so much,
Rob

Trebek

Hello Rob,

Faced with a similiar situation a few years ago, I explored several
different options regarding manipulating ASP.NET permissions, other account
permissions, etc. In the end, the solution that worked the best was to
simply create a COM+ app, set it to run under an account created explicitly
for this purpose and go from there. At the time, this was the only viable
option but since then, Microsoft suppossedly addressed this issue with the
following :

For 1.0 framework.
817854 FIX: ASP.NET Web Application Cannot Deliver a Client Certificate to a
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=817854

For 1.1 framework
821156 INFO: ASP.NET 1.1 June 2003 Hotfix Rollup Package
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=821156

Along with this fix you will need to install the client certificate under
the
Local_Machine registry hive and not the Current_User hive. You will then
need to
give the ASP.Net account access to the private key for the client
certificate to
get all of this to work.

After looking at this, we elected to keep it all as a COM+ app so I don't
have an experience with the above-mentioned solution.

HTH,

Alex

Rob Conery said:
[...]

Comprehensive, categorised, searchable collection of links to ASP &
ASP.NET resources...

bstewart

I'm having the same problem and have tried the same "solutions"-- did you figure it out yet?