SSL Performance HIT in REVERSE? the clients are PEGGED as opposed to the server?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by anon, May 19, 2004.

  1. anon

    anon Guest

    I am trying to stress test the effects of SSL on a web server using Web
    Application Stress Tool (WAST).

    However, when using SSL and according to the WAST Help files, the peformance
    HIT is in the opposite direction. It's on the clients at 5 times the load!!!
    as opposed the server I want to test. So the help files are correct.

    Therefore, I can't even test the server for SSL until I significantly
    upgrade my client or clients to even deliver the stress in the first place.

    It seems like SSL stress testing is tougher on the "tester" as I THINK, it
    needs to do some decryting of the sending page?

    So, it's the clients that are doing most of the work on SSL as opposed to
    the server?

    Can anyone enlighten me more on this subject. As I wanted to see the effects
    of SSL on the web server as opposed to not using SSL.

    anon, May 19, 2004

  2. anon

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Please post only to relevant groups. This has nothing to do with VB.NET (for
    example), or C#

    Both the client, and the server, are being stressed when using SSL. The
    communication in both directions needs to be encrypted at one end, and
    decrypted at the other. So, the client makes a request (and encrypts the
    request details). The server receives the request (and decrypts it). The
    server sends a response (and encrypts the response), and the client receives
    the response (and decrypts it). Both of these operations (encryption and
    decryption) are CPU intensive.

    Cheers
    Ken

    :

    Ken Schaefer, May 19, 2004

  3. anon

    Cor Ligthert Guest

    Hello Anon,

    Can you tell us in which way this question is VB.net language related, maybe
    we can give you an answer from that newsgroup?

    Cor

    Cor Ligthert, May 19, 2004
  4. anon

    anon Guest

    Of all the newsgroups, VB programmers tend to explain things better than
    most other programmers, that's why.

    anon, May 19, 2004
  5. [Thought about removing the long list of irrelevant groups, but it's too
    much work...]

    > However, when using SSL and according to the WAST Help files, the

    peformance
    > HIT is in the opposite direction. It's on the clients at 5 times the

    load!!!
    > as opposed the server I want to test. So the help files are correct.

    Is the issuing certificate authority trusted by the clients?

    Keith W. McCammon, May 19, 2004
  6. > Of all the newsgroups, VB programmers tend to explain things better than
    > most other programmers, that's why.

    Heck, if I always wanted a thorough and concise explanation for things, I
    wouldn't even bother posting to Usenet half of the time...

    Keith W. McCammon, May 19, 2004