SSL problem with ASP.NET and Macintosh browser

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Bob Skutnick, Dec 17, 2003.

  1. Bob Skutnick

    Bob Skutnick Guest

    Greetings,
    I'm hoping someone has experienced a problem I'm having:

    I have an existing ASP application (working fine) that
    uses an SSL server certificate. My user community is made
    up of both PC's and Macintosh computers.

    I've re-written this application in ASP.NET for a number
    of reasons and now find that my Mac users are having
    problems with the application. SSL works just fine for PC
    users, won't work for Mac users (browser is Internet
    Explorer). When a Mac user tries to login to my
    application using SSL (https://) the browser produces an
    error saying "Security failure, a secure connection could
    not be established". Mac users can use the site/app
    without SSL (http://)

    This is the same server and site and server certificate
    that was used with the ASP app. Is there a problem
    using "server.transfer()" when SSL is part of the
    equation? Any special web.config issues?

    I'm truly stumped on this one... Thanks so much for any
    assistance.

    Bob Skutnick

    Bob Skutnick, Dec 17, 2003

  2. Bob Skutnick

    NoOne Guest

    I have encountered something very similar to this.

    We have internal access with no SSL, and external access with SSL. The only
    problem we had is when users with Mac and IE or Netscape tried to access the
    site externally hence going through SSL. The same Mac with the same
    IE/Netscape would succeed internally, no SSL, but fail externally with SSL.
    We do not get the error you are getting but get something like "resource not
    available" from IE, netscape hangs forever. Here is the kicker, it only
    happens with form posts, not gets. I created a plain html page with a form
    post, and sure enough I encounter this problems. Change it to a form get and
    it succeeds. So in our scenario its the IE/Netscape on Mac in combination
    with our SSL accelarator in combination with form posts. Our network guys
    have a question in with Cisco to see if they had seen this before.

    So I don't have any answers but I am seeing somthing similar.

    NoOne, Dec 17, 2003

  3. Bob Skutnick

    Bob Skutnick Guest

    Most interesting. I'm using form post (not get). Normally
    with MS IE on a Mac there is no error - just hangs, in IE
    5.2.2 under OS X you see the "security failure". Have not
    tried Netscape yet.

    Bob

    Bob Skutnick, Dec 17, 2003
  4. Bob Skutnick

    NoOne Guest

    Forgot one thing.. Opera and Safari on the Macs both succeed. So its only IE
    and Netscape.

    NoOne, Dec 17, 2003
  5. Bob Skutnick

    SteveC Guest

    Maybe there is a certificate-trust issue that can be
    tweaked on the Mac side.

    Maybe the HTTP header is not being sufficently unwrapped
    on the Mac side, or it can't be unwrapped fast enough on
    the Mac side and the error defaults to "Security
    failure...". Or vice-versa on the web server side.

    Is the web server exactly the same (NT/Win2K/Win2K3)
    between your application versions? Is the certificate
    exactly the same? Just to rule out low-level issues, you
    might want to install the ASP site on one IP number and
    ASP.NET on another IP number and switch between them to
    make sure that it is ASP.NET that is actually causing the
    issue.

    Assuming that it is in fact ASP.NET, are you using
    cookies or sessions? Those state mechanisms have to put
    information into the HTTP header. Using cookieless
    sessions (my favorite) or strict ViewState might solve
    your problem, as they transfer state info wholly in the
    GET and HTTP body.

    Are you using ASP.NET Forms Authentication or a custom
    implementation? Perhaps either (especially the default
    cookie-using method of Forms Auth) is not translating
    something over SSL.

    Hope that helps.

    SteveC, Dec 17, 2003
  6. Bob Skutnick

    Bob Skutnick Guest

    Thanks for your ideas.

    Exact same server (win2k), exact same certificate. Exact
    same SQL server custom authentication.
    Your mention of cookieless session state was a good
    thought as I am using cookies. I changed it to
    cookieless="true" and was hopeful but the app still fails
    on a Mac browser.
    Someone mentioned get vs. post and that seems to be
    something. All of my forms use method="post". All of my
    page to page navigation use server.transfer. Any thoughts
    on this?

    I might be getting somewhere.
    Bob

    Bob Skutnick, Dec 17, 2003
  7. Bob Skutnick

    NoOne Guest

    Did you try creating the simple html page with a form post and do the
    expirement i tried? Did you try Opera or Safari? In my situation, which is
    very close to your problem, these two tests took away asp.net having any
    involvement in my problem, and put all of the focus on the SSL acelerator
    along with IE/Netscape on MAC being the real culprits, which the network
    admins confirmed.

    NoOne, Dec 17, 2003
  8. Bob Skutnick

    Bob Skutnick Guest

    I tried Safari and it works fine with SSL, which makes me
    think the problem is not asp.net. If that is true and the
    problem is the SSL acelerator (I don't know what that is)
    how could I fix it? Or is it possible?
    Thanks,
    Bob

    message

    Bob Skutnick, Dec 17, 2003
  9. Bob Skutnick

    JD Guest

    I tried looking and looking and I have not found a resolution. Like I said
    we have a admin waiting to hear from Cisco on this. It may be a firmware
    bug, it may be an IE/Netscape Mac version bug???

    The combination I had narrowed it done to is:

    IE/Netscape + Macintosh + Form Post + SSL

    Replace any one of the above and it works.

    Opera/Safari + Macintosh + Form Post + SSL ->WORKS

    IE/Netscape + Windows + Form Post + SSL -> WORKS

    IE/Netscape + Macintosh + Form Get/Any HTTP Get + SSL -> WORKS

    IE/Netscape + Macintosh + Form Post + NO SSL -> WORKS

    IE/Netscape + Macintosh + Form Post + SSL -> BUG/ HANGS

    JD, Dec 17, 2003