    Perhaps more important: Is it really necessary? What risks are eliminated by
    SSL?
    Regards, Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 20, 2003

  2. Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > On one of my sites financial data of visitors are stored in a
    > MySQL-database. Somebody called my attention to the point that SSL
    > should be applied.

    SSL is for web based access. If you are using email to transfer any of that
    data then you will also need to look at pgp.

    > I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to
    > use SSL. Can somebody give me a simple explanation or point me to a
    > basic site about the subject?

    For implementation issues the best source would be your host/admin

    > Perhaps more important: Is it really necessary? What risks are
    > eliminated by SSL?

    SSL does two things.

    o Encrypts data sent to/from the browser

    and optionally

    o Verifies the identity of the certificate holder

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Nov 20, 2003

  3. Nico Schuyt

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:13:48 +0100, "Nico Schuyt" <>
    wrote:

    : I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to use SSL.

    http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 20, 2003
  4. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    William Tasso wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >> I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to
    >> use SSL. Can somebody give me a simple explanation or point me to a
    >> basic site about the subject?
    >> <snip>

    > For implementation issues the best source would be your host/admin
    > <snip>

    Thanks William, I sent a request for support to my host and received all the
    information I need within a few minutes :)
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 20, 2003
  5. Sid Ismail wrote:

    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:13:48 +0100, "Nico Schuyt"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > : I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to
    > use SSL.
    >
    > http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml
    >
    > Sid

    Hey, Sid, you may want to check your newsreader's font settings, you
    seem to have one that shows "ess ess el," secure socket layer, the same
    as "ess ess eye," server-side includes.

    Owen Jacobson, Nov 20, 2003
  6. Nico Schuyt

    Sid Ismail Guest

    On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:27:00 GMT, "Owen Jacobson"
    <> wrote:

    : > http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml
    : >
    : > Sid
    :
    : Hey, Sid, you may want to check your newsreader's font settings, you
    : seem to have one that shows "ess ess el," secure socket layer, the same
    : as "ess ess eye," server-side includes.

    With courier new, I do not see a problem. Use a monospace font in Usenet.

    :) ililililililililil

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Nov 20, 2003
  7. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    Sid Ismail wrote:
    Nico Schuyt wrote:

    >> I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to
    >> use SSL.

    > http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml

    Thanks! Very clarifying.
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 20, 2003
  8. Nico Schuyt

    PeterMcC Guest

    Sid Ismail wrote:
    > On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:27:00 GMT, "Owen Jacobson"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>> http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml
    >>>
    >>> Sid

    >> Hey, Sid, you may want to check your newsreader's font settings, you
    >> seem to have one that shows "ess ess el," secure socket layer, the
    >> same as "ess ess eye," server-side includes.

    > With courier new, I do not see a problem. Use a monospace font in
    > Usenet.
    >
    > :) ililililililililil

    If the font's OK, it's not the "I"s that are causing the problem, it's the
    eyes :)

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Nov 20, 2003
  9. Nico Schuyt wrote:
    > Sid Ismail wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >
    >>> I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to
    >>> use SSL.

    >> http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml

    > Thanks! Very clarifying.

    Now you're just buttering him up ;o)

    --
    William Tasso - http://WilliamTasso.com

    William Tasso, Nov 20, 2003
  10. Nico Schuyt

    Nico Schuyt Guest

    William Tasso wrote:
    > Nico Schuyt wrote:
    >> Sid Ismail wrote:

    >>> http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml

    >> Thanks! Very clarifying.

    > Now you're just buttering him up ;o)

    No no. Except for that typo in the url the information was quite helpfull
    (But, I must admit, even if the response is totally inconceivable, I'm
    always gratefull somebody is prepared to assist :)
    Nico

    Nico Schuyt, Nov 20, 2003
  11. "Nico Schuyt" <> wrote in message
    > On one of my sites financial data of visitors are stored in a
    > MySQL-database. Somebody called my attention to the point that SSL should

    be
    > applied.
    > I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to use

    SSL.
    > Can somebody give me a simple explanation or point me to a basic site

    about
    > the subject?
    > Perhaps more important: Is it really necessary? What risks are eliminated

    by
    > SSL?
    > Regards, Nico

    I sincerely hope you aren't doing any of this on a shared hosting server
    (one that has other hosting customers). SSL or not, it is just asking for
    trouble to store sensitive data on a shared server.

    --Tina

    --
    http://www.AffordableHOST.com
    20% Discount Code: newsgroup