SSL required?

Nico Schuyt

On one of my sites financial data of visitors are stored in a
MySQL-database. Somebody called my attention to the point that SSL should be
applied.
I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to use SSL.
Can somebody give me a simple explanation or point me to a basic site about
the subject?
Perhaps more important: Is it really necessary? What risks are eliminated by
SSL?
Regards, Nico

William Tasso

Nico said:
On one of my sites financial data of visitors are stored in a
MySQL-database. Somebody called my attention to the point that SSL
should be applied.

SSL is for web based access. If you are using email to transfer any of that
data then you will also need to look at pgp.
I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to
use SSL. Can somebody give me a simple explanation or point me to a
basic site about the subject?

For implementation issues the best source would be your host/admin
Perhaps more important: Is it really necessary? What risks are
eliminated by SSL?

SSL does two things.

o Encrypts data sent to/from the browser

and optionally

o Verifies the identity of the certificate holder

Nico Schuyt

William said:
Nico Schuyt wrote:
For implementation issues the best source would be your host/admin
<snip>

Thanks William, I sent a request for support to my host and received all the
information I need within a few minutes :)
Nico

Owen Jacobson

Sid said:
On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:13:48 +0100, "Nico Schuyt"

: I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to
use SSL.

http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml

Sid

Hey, Sid, you may want to check your newsreader's font settings, you
seem to have one that shows "ess ess el," secure socket layer, the same
as "ess ess eye," server-side includes.

Sid Ismail

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003 10:27:00 GMT, "Owen Jacobson"

: > http://bignosebird.com/ssi.shtml
: >
: > Sid
:
: Hey, Sid, you may want to check your newsreader's font settings, you
: seem to have one that shows "ess ess el," secure socket layer, the same
: as "ess ess eye," server-side includes.

With courier new, I do not see a problem. Use a monospace font in Usenet.

:) ililililililililil

Sid

PeterMcC

Sid said:
With courier new, I do not see a problem. Use a monospace font in
Usenet.

:) ililililililililil

If the font's OK, it's not the "I"s that are causing the problem, it's the
eyes :)

Nico Schuyt

Now you're just buttering him up ;o)

No no. Except for that typo in the url the information was quite helpfull
(But, I must admit, even if the response is totally inconceivable, I'm
always gratefull somebody is prepared to assist :)
Nico

Tina - AffordableHOST.com

Nico Schuyt said:
On one of my sites financial data of visitors are stored in a
MySQL-database. Somebody called my attention to the point that SSL should be
applied.
I must admit that, except for the definition, I have no idea how to use SSL.
Can somebody give me a simple explanation or point me to a basic site about
the subject?
Perhaps more important: Is it really necessary? What risks are eliminated by
SSL?
Regards, Nico

I sincerely hope you aren't doing any of this on a shared hosting server
(one that has other hosting customers). SSL or not, it is just asking for
trouble to store sensitive data on a shared server.

--Tina