SSL/Response Object/data to client

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Stefan Berglund, Mar 21, 2005.

  1. This may not be the right group for this since the ASP part of the equation
    seems to be working as it should, but at the very least perhaps someone will
    point me to the correct group or even better, a solution.

    I've been using the following technique to return a recordset from a web based
    SQL Server to my app.

    ASP (no HTML):

    <%Option Explicit%>

    <!--#include file="inc/asp_head.asp" -->
    <!--#include file="inc/asp_connect.asp" -->
    <%Dim rs: Set rs = cn.Execute("get_SomeData " &
    LikePhrase(ValidateInputString(Request.QueryString("ShowTitle"),"")))
    rs.Save Response: rs.Close: Set rs = Nothing: cn.Close: Set cn = Nothing%>

    VB app:

    rs.Open "http://" & frmMain.IP_Main & "/someASP.asp?ShowTitle=" &
    URLEncode(frmMain.ShowTitle)

    At this point the app can use the recordset that was passed
    through the Response object just like any other recordset.

    The problem comes about when attempting to use https in place of http. As I
    said, the ASP shows every indication of working since I can see the data in a
    browser window but the recordset is empty/non-existent in the client app. I've
    tried the URL= as in rs.Open "URL=https://... and found docs that seem to
    indicate that this worked in the days of RDS, but I've been unsuccessful in
    googling anything appropriate. Can anyone shed any light on this or offer an
    alternative methodology to obtaining data securely from the Internet?

    ---
    Stefan Berglund
    Stefan Berglund, Mar 21, 2005

  2. Stefan Berglund

    Mark Schupp Guest

    Have you tried saving in XML format as the following example does?

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdhowstep3senddata.asp

    also try just echoing the raw data from within the vb app to see what is
    actually being sent (use XMLHTTPRequest to get data instead of recordset).
    --
    Mark Schupp
    Head of Development

    Mark Schupp, Mar 21, 2005

  3. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:58:22 -0800, "Mark Schupp" <> wrote:
    in <#>

    >Have you tried saving in XML format as the following example does?
    >
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdhowstep3senddata.asp
    >
    >also try just echoing the raw data from within the vb app to see what is
    >actually being sent (use XMLHTTPRequest to get data instead of recordset).

    Yes, I tried it and I got the same results. The data is being sent since I can
    plug the URL into a browser window and see the beautifully formatted XML or raw
    data (in my example), but the VB app is not getting any data. I get "The
    connection cannot be used to perform this operation. It is either closed or
    invalid in this context." If I remove the s from https it works in both cases.

    I just tried the same experiment using the URLDownloadToFile API and I'm getting
    the same results. It must be a firewall issue on the receiving end. Thanks.

    ---
    Stefan Berglund
    Stefan Berglund, Mar 22, 2005
  4. On Mon, 21 Mar 2005 12:58:22 -0800, "Mark Schupp" <> wrote:
    in <#>

    >Have you tried saving in XML format as the following example does?
    >
    >http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/ado270/htm/mdhowstep3senddata.asp
    >
    >also try just echoing the raw data from within the vb app to see what is
    >actually being sent (use XMLHTTPRequest to get data instead of recordset).

    The error code returned in both cases is 800C0008.

    This could be applicable:
    Transfer-Chunk Encoding (Including ASP) May Cause 800c0008 Error
    http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/q177/2/31.asp

    or optionally it's an authentication error:
    Guide To Error 800C0008 In Windows Media Player.
    http://msmvps.com/chrisl/articles/10905.aspx

    At any rate, I'll find an alternative method for accomplishing this. I suppose
    I could encrypt the credit card info before it's stored in the database, send
    the encrypted data via http and have the app decrypt it.

    ---
    Stefan Berglund
    Stefan Berglund, Mar 22, 2005