SSL Response.WriteBinary()

Adam B

Hello. I'm writing an aspx page that reads a file from
disk and writes the file out through the
Response.WriteBinary() method. This allows me to support
security and custom reports for various users. I am
adding the MIME type for the type of file that I am
writing out to the response. Example:

if ( reportName.ToLower().EndsWith(".pdf"))
{

Response.ContentType="application/pdf";
Response.AddHeader( "content-
disposition","filename=StaticContentViewer.pdf");
}
if ( reportName.ToLower().EndsWith(".doc"))
{
Response.ContentType = "application/msword" ;
Response.AddHeader( "content-
disposition","filename=StaticContentViewer.doc");
}

This seems to work great on a regular non-secure site.
The problem that I am having is on a secure site (https).
I get errors in when trying to access PDF files or
MSOffice Files (doc,xls, etc) through my IE browser (IE
6). The browser just hangs on the MSOffice files and they
never open. On the PDF files, I get a warning about secure
and nonsecure info on and it will open. I know that the
pdf doesn't contain any nonsecure info, because I put the
same file on the site directly and did not receive the
error. Also, I get a javascript error when I close the
PDF.

I have looked around on many message boards and found the
following suggestion:

Response.AddHeader( "pragma","no-cache");

This did not work for me or many of the other developers
out there with the same problem.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

Adam