SSO authentication via java client minus the web agent

rdaly

I am looking to develop a java client that will authenticate user
logins via Single Sign On. However, I want to design it in a such away
that the client communicates directly with the policy server via HTTP
posts bypassing the web agent altogether. I want to architect it like
this so I can avoid the outrageous costs my host provider is trying to
charge for installing and maintaining the web agent in their
environment. Has anyone attempted a design like this in the past and if
so what was involved?

Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!!