SSO with FormsAuthntication authenticating in a single site

Arturo Martinez

We are working on a few portals. The system design is set to authenticate in
a single site because we only want to purchase one ssl certificate for the
whole system.
The whole authentication works just fine between all the sites. The problem
is that when being redirected after login to the system the page cannot be
found of course because forms authentication only sends the the absolute path
of the protected page in the ReturnUrl QueryString variable.
In order to get to the page I need to reenter the initial Url and I'm logged
in.

Current situation:

http://site1.domain.com/protectedpage.aspx --> redirects to
https://ssl.domain.com/login/?ReturnUrl=protectedpage.aspx

Wanted situation:

http://site1.domain.com/protectedpage.aspx --> redirects t
https://ssl.domain.com/login/?ReturnUrl=http://site1.domain.com/protectedpage.aspx

Is it possible to inject more text to the ReturnUrl variable within
FormsAuthenticationModule before redirection?
If I try to redirect to the login page on Application_AuthenticateRequest
with my own code I'm being sent to the login page over and over.

I'm also being sent to the login page even when trying to access non
protected pages.

I already know how to set authorization for different locations in
web.config so this is not the issue.

Please help