stack overflow with IE not with Mozilla?

Geoff Cox

Hello,

Some one is getting the "stack overflow" error message when using a
Javascript program which I wrote when using Internet Explorer but not
when using Mozilla.

Any ideas as to how I might find out what is happening?

Cheers,

Geoff

VK

Some one is getting the "stack overflow" error message when using a
Javascript program which I wrote when using Internet Explorer but not
when using Mozilla.

Any ideas as to how I might find out what is happening?

"Stack overflow" message is not among JScript engine run-time error
messages. Actually the whole internal message table doesn't have a
single occurrence of the word "stack". So unless I missed something -
which is always possible - you may be getting an end-user's own
diagnosis of some real problem. "Stack overflow" is just one of biz-
words on air currently because included in many "Internet security"
popular articles. So to find out what is happening I would:
1. Ask user to confirm that the problem is reproducible on some
particular resource.
2. Post a link here.

Geoff Cox

"Stack overflow" message is not among JScript engine run-time error
messages. Actually the whole internal message table doesn't have a
single occurrence of the word "stack". So unless I missed something -
which is always possible - you may be getting an end-user's own
diagnosis of some real problem. "Stack overflow" is just one of biz-
words on air currently because included in many "Internet security"
popular articles. So to find out what is happening I would:
1. Ask user to confirm that the problem is reproducible on some
particular resource.
2. Post a link here.

OK VK - thanks - will get more info.

Cheers

Geoff

scripts.contact

"Stack overflow" message is not among JScript engine run-time error
messages. Actually the whole internal message table doesn't have a
single occurrence of the word "stack". So unless I missed something -
which is always possible - you may be getting an end-user's own
diagnosis of some real problem.

try this in IE (not under WinScrHst :
function x(){
for(var i=0;;i++)
x()
}
x()

Geoff Cox

try this in IE (not under WinScrHst :
function x(){
for(var i=0;;i++)
x()
}
x()

Yes, true enough I get stack overflow pop up box headed

Microsoft Internet Explorer
plus

stack overflow at line: 12

line 12 for me is x()

Presumably this is a resursive example but what next?!

Cheers

Geoff

Geoff Cox

try this in IE (not under WinScrHst :
function x(){
for(var i=0;;i++)
x()
}
x()

I should have added that it does give stack overflow error with IE but
not with Mozilla - why is this?

Cheers

Geoff

scripts.contact

Yes, true enough I get stack overflow pop up box headed
Presumably this is a resursive example but what next?!

nothing. i was just replying to VK that he is wrong.
I should have added that it does give stack overflow error with IE but
not with Mozilla - why is this?

it's just different explanation of error.

VK

nothing. i was just replying to VK that he is wrong.

Yep, I was wrong - it is good I carefully reserved my rights for a
mistake in the first post :)

It is a tricky matter with this run-time error. By different IE6 / IE7
minors the posted sample is reported by errorObject.message either
"Out of memory" (most of cases) or "Out of stack space" (the OP's
case). But jscript.dll doesn't have such message, as I said.
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/1dk3k160.aspx
Moreover errorObject.number reported as 7 without the regular service
bytes prefix: all JScript own errors are prefixed by two service bytes
so to get the actual number you do err.number&0xFFFF but not for this
error AFAICT
So I guess it is a propagation from some system module linked with
jscript.dll

All this may be interesting but doesn't help to OP. For his "what
next?!" question the answer remains the same:
1) Identify at least one resource where the problem can be reproduced.
2) Link this resource in this thread or post a minimum code
demonstating this problem.

VK

VK - I wonder if you received my email?!

This e-mail is in use for Usenet postings since 1997, so you may
imagine the amount of daily spam into it despite any filters. Now
after you told me I found your letter in the collector. See my reply.