Stackless Python for 2.4.3

Discussion in 'Python' started by Richard Tew, Mar 30, 2006.

  1. Richard Tew

    Richard Tew Guest

    Hi,

    Stackless Python is now available for the recent release of Python
    2.4.3 (final).

    You can either obtain the source code from the SVN repository or
    download the precompiled windows binaries.

    SVN: http://codespeak.net/svn/stackless/Python-2.4.3/dev
    Download: http://www.stackless.com/download

    If anyone plans to download and compile the source, there are
    however some minor things that need to be taken into account which you
    may be able to help me with, if you have the time.

    1. I need a generated 'configure' file. I believe the 'configure.in'
    fine should be fine, but if someone could run autoconf and send me
    the result so I can check it in, it would be appreciated.

    It would be best if anyone planning to do this checked the
    Stackless mailing list to see if there was any mention of
    someone else already having taken care of it.

    2. Having the Python tests run, and the Stackless unittests run by
    various people on different platforms would give a better
    indication of the state of the port.

    The following instructions are of course Win32 specific, but they
    should be translate easily.

    a) Retrieve the 2.4.3 source code from SVN at:
    http://codespeak.net/svn/stackless/Python-2.4.3/dev

    b) Compile it.

    c) Open a console in the 'Stackless\unittests' directory.
    Type '..\..\PCBuild\python.exe run_all.py'.

    The expected result is that one pickling test will fail, this is
    ok and it is the same known bug that we had for 2.4.2, which
    should be easy enough to fix if someone wants to step forward
    and put in the time and effort.

    d) Open a console in the top level of the source code.
    Type 'PCBuild\python.exe Lib\test\regrtest.py'

    The expected result is that there will be a lot of skipped
    tests, and possibly some failures depending on your platform.

    I had these fail:
    - test_email
    - test_winsound

    Neither of the errors were necessarily Stackless related, but
    it is possible they are. But if you see any for your build that
    are unexpected, please mention them.

    Thanks,
    Richard Tew.
    Richard Tew, Mar 30, 2006

  2. Richard Tew

    Fuzzyman Guest

    Richard Tew wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Stackless Python is now available for the recent release of Python
    > 2.4.3 (final).

    Does anyone happen to know if Stackless Python is compatible with
    existing third party extension modules (like e.g. Tkinter and wxPython)
    ?

    I'm afraid my internet connection here is 'restricted' or I would
    google first...

    Fuzzyman
    Fuzzyman, Mar 30, 2006

  3. On Thu, 30 Mar 2006 06:04:27 -0800, Fuzzyman wrote:

    > Richard Tew wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Stackless Python is now available for the recent release of Python
    >> 2.4.3 (final).
    >>

    > Does anyone happen to know if Stackless Python is compatible with
    > existing third party extension modules (like e.g. Tkinter and wxPython)
    > ?

    It's definatelly compatible with wxPython. If memory serves right, there
    were some issues with Tkinter. It would be best to ask on stackless
    mailinglist for details (I'm not sure, if wxPython worked out of the box
    or if there was some trick involved)

    Stephan
    Stephan Diehl, Mar 30, 2006
  4. Richard Tew

    Richard Tew Guest

    I would just like to clarify, the windows specific paths do not
    imply that Stackless compiles only on Windows, or that the
    tests being run on Windows is all I am interested in.

    Stackless compiles on a range of non-Windows platforms, including
    x86 linux, mac os and others. And knowing the port works on them
    all and is therefore more or less complete except for known issues
    is what I am interesting in learning. Or what has to be fixed.

    Thanks,
    Richard.
    Richard Tew, Mar 30, 2006