Stackless Python

Discussion in 'Python' started by srijit@yahoo.com, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Hello Chris,
    Please refer an old message below. I unzipped python23.dll.zip and
    kept python23.dll in a local folder. I started Python from a dos box
    (Win XP machine) in the same local folder. I typed help(stackless) and
    got an error message, as shown below.

    D:\Python23\myfiles>python
    Python 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003, 20:22:39) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
    on win32
    >>> help(stackless)

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
    NameError: name 'stackless' is not defined

    So I am still confused. How do I correctly install stackless Python
    2.3?

    Thanks.

    Regards,
    Srijit

    wrote:
    > I am interested to try Stackless Python. I have downloaded python22.dll.zip.
    > How do I install this zip file? I already have standard python 2.2.2 installed.

    You either install python22.dll in a local folder. When you start
    Python from there, it will be stackless.
    If you want to install it permanently, rename the dll in
    windows/system32 and copy the new dll there.

    In the version you have, there is a stacklessmodule.pyd which
    should be in the local folder or be copied into /python22/DLLs.
    This is temporary, the new version which I'm about to upload
    tomorrow does not have that external file, since it is all moced into
    the core dll, for simplicity.

    > I also do not see any documentation like tutorials,
    > example programs, demos etc.

    There are a few test programs, if you download the CVS tree.
    There is no public release, yet, this is still pre-alpha
    stuff.
    You can get all internal documentation by
    >>> help(stackless)

    > Is it 100% compatible with standrad Python 2.2.2?

    Yes, it should be. If not, let me know.

    ciao - chris
    , Feb 19, 2004

  2. wrote:

    I think this message should go to the stackless list?

    > Please refer an old message below. I unzipped python23.dll.zip and
    > kept python23.dll in a local folder. I started Python from a dos box
    > (Win XP machine) in the same local folder. I typed help(stackless) and
    > got an error message, as shown below.
    >
    > D:\Python23\myfiles>python
    > Python 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003, 20:22:39) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)]
    > on win32

    Python did not use your Stackless dll as the startup
    message should read differently.
    It should work if you have the dll in your local
    folder. Of course, you can take a copy of
    c:\windows\system32\python23.dll and place the Stackless
    one there. This *must* work, although it is a little
    rigorous. It should look alsmost like this:

    D:\slpdev\src\2.3\src\PCbuild>python
    Python 2.3.3 Stackless 3.0 040119 (#51, Feb 19 2004, 13:53:31) [MSC
    v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32
    >>> help("stackless")

    Christian Tismer :^) <mailto:>
    Mission Impossible 5oftware : Have a break! Take a ride on Python's
    Johannes-Niemeyer-Weg 9a : *Starship* http://starship.python.net/
    14109 Berlin : PGP key -> http://wwwkeys.pgp.net/
    work +49 30 89 09 53 34 home +49 30 802 86 56 mobile +49 173 24 18 776
    PGP 0x57F3BF04 9064 F4E1 D754 C2FF 1619 305B C09C 5A3B 57F3 BF04
    whom do you want to sponsor today? http://www.stackless.com/
    Christian Tismer, Feb 19, 2004