stacktrace lost in exception

mad_programmer

hi all I am debugging some complicated client/server code that
uses axis web services, jboss. & even have been stepping thru the
server-side code running in jboss via eclipse debugger. I would like to
get the exception
stacktrace of methods that fail in the server, the stacktraces seem to
disappear. from stepping thru the code it looks like the stacktrace in
the exception
disappears in server side code *before* the client return is ever
reached.
(leading me to think that the web service layer has nothing to do with
it).

any ideas? could it be compiler flags how the code is compiled? really
want those full stacktraces.

I have stepped thru other server side code that keeps the stacktraces
in the exceptions-- not all exceptions in the server side code lose the
stacktraces. I wonder if it is the way one of the jars was compiled.
the java code for the jar in question is actually autogenerated from
velocity template
files.

tx for any tips
ps I searched on the web & noticed there are some known java defects
where the compiler fails to return stacktraces. dont know if this is
related.
would like workaround.

Oliver Wong

[...]

I've never heard of "known java defects where the compiler fails to
return stacktraces". Every time I wanted a stack trace, but wasn't getting
one, it turned out to be because there was code somewhere swallowing the
exceptions.

Perhaps you can configure the Eclipse debugger to break on all
exceptions (whether caught or uncaught), and see if you can check for
exceptions being silently swallowed without having a chance to emit their
stacktraces.

Actually, it's not uncommon for servers to swallow exceptions, because
they want to keep running even when problems occur (as opposed to
terminating).

- Oliver