    locally.

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Apr 20, 2009

  2. Hello Jonathan,

    > I've created a little ASP.NET application that is useful to me, and I
    > find myself loading Visual Studio and loading that project so I can
    > run it.
    >
    > Is there some easy way to run the application on my desktop without
    > running Visual Studio? I don't want to put it on the Web. I'd just
    > like to run it locally.

    Certain versions of Windows Vista and XP can be configured to run IIS. This
    includes XP Pro, Vista Ultimate, Business and Home Premium.

    Go to the control panel, look under software and programs. There you can
    turn windows features on and off.

    After having installed IIS, you'll need to configure a virtual directory
    and copy paste your application into it.

    And you're all set :).

    --
    Jesse Houwing
    jesse.houwing at sogeti.nl

    Jesse Houwing, Apr 20, 2009

  3. "Jesse Houwing" <> wrote in message

    > Go to the control panel, look under software and programs. There you can
    > turn windows features on and off.
    >
    > After having installed IIS, you'll need to configure a virtual directory
    > and copy paste your application into it.
    >
    > And you're all set :).

    Thanks, but I'm not sure I can justify setting up IIS on this machine for
    this little program. Also, I may want to load it on my laptop as well.

    I was wondering if there was some way to bypass all that. Doesn't sound like
    it.

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Apr 20, 2009
  4. Hello Jonathan,

    > "Jesse Houwing" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Go to the control panel, look under software and programs. There you
    >> can turn windows features on and off.
    >>
    >> After having installed IIS, you'll need to configure a virtual
    >> directory and copy paste your application into it.
    >>
    >> And you're all set :).
    >>

    > Thanks, but I'm not sure I can justify setting up IIS on this machine
    > for this little program. Also, I may want to load it on my laptop as
    > well.

    > I was wondering if there was some way to bypass all that. Doesn't
    > sound like it.

    You could invoke the development server from the commandline, but I'd go
    for running on IIS. Easier, stabler, more securable and a standard feature.

    If your laptop is runnign any of the earlier mentioned Vista or XP versions,
    then it would work without problems on your laptop as well.

    If you've written the 'business' part of the application in seperate classes,
    it shouldn't be too much work to convert the app to Winforms...

    --
    Jesse Houwing
    jesse.houwing at sogeti.nl

    Jesse Houwing, Apr 20, 2009
  5. It's "very" Web-based. In fact, if I can't get around IIS, I may just put it
    on one of my sites and run it from there. Seems like the long way around for
    this little app but perhaps that's my best best.

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Apr 20, 2009
  6. Jonathan Wood

    Mr. Arnold Guest

    Jonathan Wood wrote:
    > "Jesse Houwing" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Go to the control panel, look under software and programs. There you
    >> can turn windows features on and off.
    >>
    >> After having installed IIS, you'll need to configure a virtual
    >> directory and copy paste your application into it.
    >>
    >> And you're all set :).

    > Thanks, but I'm not sure I can justify setting up IIS on this machine
    > for this little program. Also, I may want to load it on my laptop as well.
    >
    > I was wondering if there was some way to bypass all that. Doesn't sound
    > like it.

    It's called a Window form application. :)

    Mr. Arnold, Apr 20, 2009
  7. Jonathan Wood

    Hillbilly Guest

    The best thing about developing web sites has become the use of Vista and
    its support for IIS7.
    Read this http://tinyurl.com/clpklf

    It has become sooooooo fast and easy to develop and use local web sites on
    Vista because of IIS7 and because browsers are now more user friendly we do
    not even have to type the HTTP schema anymore. You can name a website x for
    example, load a browser or a new tab and just type x and press the Enter
    key. Or is that too much work for you too?

    Hillbilly, Apr 20, 2009
  8. I appreciate the comment but the requirements were really double checked and
    fully understood.

    Not that it matters but it includes a number of test components and scripts
    that I plan to incorporate into some of my Websites when time allows. I just
    found that it would provide some benefit if I could view what I had so far
    each morning, until I go on to develop some of those other things I have
    planned.

    Now, I haven't done much HTML with WebForms. So perhaps there is some
    functionality there that would be worth playing with. But it working so well
    now, it would be hard to justify a rewrite just for my current purposes.

    (BTW, I just stuck the code on one of my Web sites and placed a shortcut on
    the desktop. It's not slick but it works.)

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Apr 20, 2009
  9. That might be an interesting approach. I've saved your post and will go over
    this in more detail later.

    Thanks.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Wood, Apr 20, 2009
  10. re:
    !> Definitely or you could perhaps use Cassini
    !> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassini_Web_Server).

    Better yet, dump Cassini, which is quite dated, and install Cassiniv2.

    Direct link to the source files:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dmitryr/attachment/548131.ashx

    You will also need the v2.0 version of GACUTIL which is installed
    with VWD Express, VS 2005 and the .Net Framework 2.0 SDK.

    Make sure you read the "ReadMe.txt" file included in the zipped source.

    Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
    asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/
    =========================

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 20, 2009
  11. Jonathan Wood

    Hillbilly Guest

    Jonathan, if you start adopting that cmd approach you want to know about
    Microsoft PowerShell which allows us to use the .NET Framework within its
    own command shell.

    Hillbilly, Apr 21, 2009
  12. Better yet, dump Cassini, which is quite dated, and install Cassiniv2.

    Direct link to the source files:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/dmitryr/attachment/548131.ashx

    You also need the v2.0 version of GACUTIL which is installed

    Juan T. Llibre, Apr 22, 2009