Stand-Alone ASP.NET?

Jonathan Wood

I've created a little ASP.NET application that is useful to me, and I find
myself loading Visual Studio and loading that project so I can run it.

Is there some easy way to run the application on my desktop without running
Visual Studio? I don't want to put it on the Web. I'd just like to run it
locally.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Jesse Houwing

Hello Jonathan,
I've created a little ASP.NET application that is useful to me, and I
find myself loading Visual Studio and loading that project so I can
run it.

Is there some easy way to run the application on my desktop without
running Visual Studio? I don't want to put it on the Web. I'd just
like to run it locally.

Certain versions of Windows Vista and XP can be configured to run IIS. This
includes XP Pro, Vista Ultimate, Business and Home Premium.

Go to the control panel, look under software and programs. There you can
turn windows features on and off.

After having installed IIS, you'll need to configure a virtual directory
and copy paste your application into it.

And you're all set :).

Jonathan Wood

Go to the control panel, look under software and programs. There you can
turn windows features on and off.

After having installed IIS, you'll need to configure a virtual directory
and copy paste your application into it.

And you're all set :).

Thanks, but I'm not sure I can justify setting up IIS on this machine for
this little program. Also, I may want to load it on my laptop as well.

I was wondering if there was some way to bypass all that. Doesn't sound like
it.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Jesse Houwing

Hello Jonathan,
Thanks, but I'm not sure I can justify setting up IIS on this machine
for this little program. Also, I may want to load it on my laptop as
well.
I was wondering if there was some way to bypass all that. Doesn't
sound like it.

You could invoke the development server from the commandline, but I'd go
for running on IIS. Easier, stabler, more securable and a standard feature.

If your laptop is runnign any of the earlier mentioned Vista or XP versions,
then it would work without problems on your laptop as well.

If you've written the 'business' part of the application in seperate classes,
it shouldn't be too much work to convert the app to Winforms...

Jonathan Wood

It's "very" Web-based. In fact, if I can't get around IIS, I may just put it
on one of my sites and run it from there. Seems like the long way around for
this little app but perhaps that's my best best.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Mr. Arnold

Jonathan said:
Thanks, but I'm not sure I can justify setting up IIS on this machine
for this little program. Also, I may want to load it on my laptop as well.

I was wondering if there was some way to bypass all that. Doesn't sound
like it.

It's called a Window form application. :)

Hillbilly

The best thing about developing web sites has become the use of Vista and
its support for IIS7.
Read this http://tinyurl.com/clpklf

It has become sooooooo fast and easy to develop and use local web sites on
Vista because of IIS7 and because browsers are now more user friendly we do
not even have to type the HTTP schema anymore. You can name a website x for
example, load a browser or a new tab and just type x and press the Enter
key. Or is that too much work for you too?

Jonathan Wood

I appreciate the comment but the requirements were really double checked and
fully understood.

Not that it matters but it includes a number of test components and scripts
that I plan to incorporate into some of my Websites when time allows. I just
found that it would provide some benefit if I could view what I had so far
each morning, until I go on to develop some of those other things I have
planned.

Now, I haven't done much HTML with WebForms. So perhaps there is some
functionality there that would be worth playing with. But it working so well
now, it would be hard to justify a rewrite just for my current purposes.

(BTW, I just stuck the code on one of my Web sites and placed a shortcut on
the desktop. It's not slick but it works.)

Thanks.

Jonathan

Jonathan Wood

That might be an interesting approach. I've saved your post and will go over
this in more detail later.

Thanks.

Jonathan

Juan T. Llibre

re:
!> Definitely or you could perhaps use Cassini
!> (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cassini_Web_Server).

Better yet, dump Cassini, which is quite dated, and install Cassiniv2.

Direct link to the source files:
http://blogs.msdn.com/dmitryr/attachment/548131.ashx

You will also need the v2.0 version of GACUTIL which is installed
with VWD Express, VS 2005 and the .Net Framework 2.0 SDK.

Make sure you read the "ReadMe.txt" file included in the zipped source.

Juan T. Llibre, asp.net MVP
asp.net faq : http://asp.net.do/faq/

Hillbilly

Jonathan, if you start adopting that cmd approach you want to know about
Microsoft PowerShell which allows us to use the .NET Framework within its
own command shell.