standalone in prolog: specs explanation needed

Discussion in 'XML' started by VK, May 18, 2006.

  1. VK

    VK Guest

    It is possibly more suitable to address this question to W3C mailing
    list, but I'm trying here first.

    Could anyone comment on <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#sec-rmd>

    The first statement says:

    "If there are external markup declarations but there is no standalone
    document declaration, the value "no" is assumed."

    A bit below it says:

    Validity constraint: Standalone Document Declaration
    The standalone document declaration MUST have the value "no" if any
    external markup declarations contain declarations of:
    <list of circumstances>

    Does it mean that for the situations spelled in the MUST section one
    has to
    explicetly set standalone="no" ? Or does it mean that for the
    situations spelled in the MUST section the value "no" /must/ be assumed
    and in other situations it /may/ be assumed? Practically for me it was
    always obvious to set standalone="no" if DTD is used, without hope on
    some default values - but of course it doesn't prove anything.

    VK, May 18, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    VK <> wrote:
    >Or does it mean that for the
    >situations spelled in the MUST section the value "no" /must/ be assumed
    >and in other situations it /may/ be assumed?

    Since it's a constraint attached to the production for standalone
    declarations, I think you should take it as "if there is a standalone
    declaration, it must have the value "no" if ...".

    You're certainly not required to have one.

    -- Richard

    Richard Tobin, May 18, 2006